Chapter 71: 31 AD, Italy, Gaul, Antioch, and Judea

Apicata, soon-to-be ex-wife of Sejanus, looked around at the bedlam as servants packed her belongings. She was the daughter of Gavius Apicus, a Senator who was also a cooking and lifestyle expert. He had published a book of recipes, as well as treatises on entertaining and running a fine home. His daughter was a close collaborator, trying his recipes on her guests, and utilizing his management tips. With his guidance, Apicata became the leading society hostess in Rome. Sejanus' rank and her talent for entertaining made them the model couple, with one exception, Livilla.

Apicata had put up with her husband's wandering ways for years, and Livilla was not his only floozy. Marriage at the top ranks of Roman society was not about love or commitment. Happy couples such as Julius Antonius and Domitia, or Iullus and Lepida existed, but were rare. Most people married for status or connection. The marriage was always open on the man's side, though many women took private pleasure where they could find it. Some spouses, like Claudius and Aelia, did not even bother to live together. And, when it was over, it was done. Her marriage was now concluded, since Tiberius had given Sejanus permission to divorce her and marry Livilla.

Apicata and Sejanis had reached an understanding early in their relationship. She bore him two surviving sons and a daughter, kept his social calendar active, and stayed out of his way. Mistresses came and went, but Livilla was a constant. Her late husband Drusus was likewise pissed, but even the Emperor's son could not say no to Sejanus. Now, after being annoyed with him for quite awhile, Tiberius, too, was prepared to give him the world on a silver platter once again, but it did not include her.

Tiberius had no intention of ever living in Rome, but was determined to retain his grip on power. To that end, he had appointed himself Consul of Rome, with direct charge over Senate affairs. Each pair of Consuls was supposed to rotate year by year. Tiberius got around that by keeping Julius Antonius as Suffect or deputy Consul each year. and rotating the other Consulship. When Valerius Messala's term was up, Sejanus would take over and run the Senate as well as the Guard. The Senate was enraged, but dared not say anything. However, they were aware their worst nightmare was coming true and they needed to act fast. If Sejanus got the Consulship he could purge the Senate, or curb its powers, or even do away with it altogether. Apicata suspected that that was why Antonia Major and Domitia had invited themselves over. They knew, as did she and most of Rome, that Sejanus had wanted to kill Drusus, marry Livilla, depose Tiberius, and rule in Gemellus' name, but there was no proof. A servant showed the two women in as Apicata put the finishing touches on a letter to her father. Like Junia Macro, she was willing to spill every last bean she had. It would not end well, but this ultimate kick in the crotch to both Sejanus and Tiberius was worth it.

"I think you know why we're here," Antonia Major said. "Apicata, we can guarantee you protection in exchange for cooperation with the August One."

"Everyone believes that Livilla helped the Prefect do away with Drusus, but no one can prove it," Domitia said.

Apicata held up the letter.

"I have all the proof you need."

She handed over the tablet and the two women left. She sealed another copy and had a servant deliver it to her father with a request to summon her home. She also sent a copy of her will. He would likewise know what to do with both documents.

....

Artos sat down at the worktable in the castrum of Gergovia, and began sorting and separating letters and memos. He had formally enlisted two months ago, and could not be happier. As an auxilliary officer, his uniform differed from the standard. He wore garrison dress of a white officer's tunic, tooled leather overtunic, and a basic balteus with a general issue pugio. He also wore long woolen braccaes and udones, crude socks under his caligae. When he needed to wear a cuirass, it was a mail shirt. Celts had been using mail for hundreds of years, and passed the wisdom on to the Romans in addition to longer, heavier, and sharper sword blades. Celtic auxilliaries topped their mail with a colorful woolen cloak fastened by a simple silver fibula, or brooch, something else they introduced in the Empire. He could not wear earrings on duty, but did wear small earwires in his quarters at night to keep the holes open, and a single braid tightly bound with leather or cloth bands down his back. As a cavalryman, he would not need to shave, just keep his beard and moustache closely trimmed.