Chapter 90: 36 AD, Rome, Capri, and Antioch

Macro fumed as he paced his family's darkened home. Old Junius lay on a bier in the atrium, dressed in his toga. The vestibule was closed to visitors. Tradition demanded a period of seclusion for a bereaved family, but he had an Empire to run. He ticked off the day's events. Claudius Proculus was also deceased. Both men were elderly and their health had been poor for some time. Nothing sinister about that. The intruder in Messala's home was just a disturbed person with his own grudge. It was an occupational hazard and one reason Senators had lictors, private bodyguards, and Praetorian protection squads.

Artorianus Bricius' response, though, pointed up another threat. Most Senators were doddering old men whose fighting days were few and far behind them. The rule about Senators being former military commanders was rarely enforced. Many men did a few years as a tribune, racked their armor, and went up the cursus without looking back. There were a few, though, who still kept in fighting trim, and would respond with force to an attack. Julius and Marcus Antonius were proven leaders, so was Old Domitius Lepidus, and they had a ready squad in men like Aetius, Deiatorianus, and Artorianus. Cowing the Senate would not be easy.

He turned to another problem out of Judea. Reports were trickling in of another massacre of civillians by Roman soldiers. Both Lucius Antonius and Severus Messala were investigating, and preliminary reports were concerning, to say the least. Pilate had been sent to Judea by Sejanus to provoke an incident, but cooler heads had prevailed, as they were doing now. He had completed his ten years. It was time to move him along. The only problem was finding anyone willing to go to Judea. Macro intended to work on that problem later and ordered Bolt back to Caesarea as Acting Governor, pending further developments. Artorius Bricius would be Imperial Legate in command of both XII and VI.

...

Artorianus Bricius pulled a stool next to the couch on which Old Valerius lay. Soon after the attack, he had begun having heart palpitations and his doctor advised complete rest. Artorius had presided over the open house, sent letters to Old Severus and Valerillus in Judea, and opened any dispatches for Valerius. He had no close male relatives in town, so his onetime foster son was it. Artorianus stacked documents on a table and reached for Valerillus' letter first, broke the seal, and passed it to the elderly man. Valerius scanned it.

"Shit," he muttered. "They need to get his ass out of there."

"What now?"

"Pilate ordered another damn massacre."

"All we need," Artorianus said.

....

Fortuna took Deiatorianus' arm and walked with hin in the courtyard garden of Julius' home. They had broken the news to his three children and hers. His son, Urusillus, was blunt.

"I'm of age in a month," he said. "So it's not my problem. Congratulations, I guess."

His daughters kept their distance and ran to Domitia for reassurance. Victorilla, Marcellus, and Metellus found refuge with Marcus. The enormity of her father's death finally hit five-year-old Victorilla. She sobbed on her grandfather's lap. Nine-year-old Metellus put his hands on his hips and spoke for both boys.

"Father will be so pissed!"

"Father is dead, Son," Fortuna said.

"But he still knows," Metellus said.

"I'd like to call a squad meeting," Marcus said.

All the children gathered around.

"Listen, this is sudden news," Marcus said. "And nobody likes it. Command decisions are the worst because the higher-ups pull something out of their ears. And, you have to live with it. Right?"