Chapter 80: April, 33 AD, Jerusalem

Joseph of Arimathea and his colleague Nicodemus made their way through the crowded streets of Jerusalem. People scurried about running last-minute errands before shops closed during Sabbath. Both men were Rabbis, Pharisees, members of the Sanhedrin, noted teachers, and legal scholars. But there the resemblance to other members of Judaism's high court ended. While most Pharisees and Sadducees looked down on the common people, Joseph and Nicodemus viewed them as sheep of Israel, who could be taught the Word of God. Both were active in local charities, including providing support to the families of men condemned to death by the Romans on Golgotha. They came to the porch of the Governor's Residence, and approached a Guardsman.

"There's a family on Golgotha now," Joseph explained. "We need to claim the body of Jesus of Nazareth."

The Decanus saw several bearers standing behind them, loaded with what looked like jars of spices and rolls of linen. He could smell the herbs.

"Wait right here," he said.

Nicodemus pondered as they stood by. Caiaphas ran the Sanhedrin like any general would. Obedience was mandatory and dissenters had to keep their mouths shut, but he wondered how long the High Priest's iron grip would last. He had visited Yeshua and spoken to him once, and it was easy to see his appeal. Most would-be messiahs were firebrands who either preached resistance to Rome or some kind of aestheticism, neither of which had practical value for most people. Yeshua stuck to the basics, love God and one's fellowman. His movement would only grow by his death. The Decanus returned.

"Go ahead, Rabbi," he said. "Prefect Messala, Tribune Gallio, and General Antonius are all out there."

Joseph thanked him and the two men hurried to the Garden Gate, hoping to encounter any of those officers, who were approachable and willing to help. They crossed paths with Flavius, who greeted them in Hebrew and let them pass the cordon. General Antonius saw them, and came over.

"Dismas and Gestas have nobody here," he said. "We've taken them down and removed them. We need to get Yeshua down before he stiffens up."

The Rabbis approached the upright, where Yeshua's family sood, and met his cousin John, who spoke for the group. A tall Centurion caught Joseph's attention.

"Give me the biggest linen roll you have," he said in Hebrew.

A bearer handed it over and Verus unrolled it as members of his squad worked the nails out of the wood and pulled Yeshua's hands and feet free. He stood the corpse facing him as Victoria and Bolt folded Yeshua's arms down. Bolt found pliers and pulled the braided thorns away from the head.

"Some men in my command have a sense of humor that I don't appreciate," he said.

He tossed the thorns onto a fire nearby and let Verus' squad wrap the body and lay it on the stretcher.

"Keep it," he said. "We don't need it. My condolences to his family."

"Thank you, General," Joseph said.

Yeshua's family left with the Rabbis and another squad came with orderlies to take down the uprights. The corpses of the two thieves would be tossed in Gehenna, a City dump in the Valley of Hinnom where continual fires burned refuse. The wooden uprights, the title board, and the discarded clothing would be burned. In accordance with Bolt's policy, the site would be cleared before sundown and the start of Sabbath.

....

Pilate reclined to an early cena. What was done, was done. He had stopped a riot before it could start. The niceties of Yeshua's innoccence were irrelevant. Claudia came and took her place, in no mood to talk. A Guardsman entered the room.