34 | Someone I'd Like You To Meet

It had been a long time since he rode on a subway

It had been a long time since he rode on a subway. They were always a little loud and most of the time crowded. But he never minded because he spent most of his time people-watching.

There was always the occasional couple, all hugged up or kissing. Before now, PDA had always irked him. But after being in an authentic love relationship, he got it. He too had experienced dating someone he loved to touch.

And then there were the workaholics. They seemed to spend their days coming and going. These people probably came from different backgrounds but they all had something in common. All of them were a part of the rat race. Coming and going. To clear his mind of his own problems, Jeon Jungkook was watching them.

He would take the scenic route today, as he had nothing else planned for the afternoon. He made it to Grand Central Station and it was full of New Yorkers scurrying about. He liked to listen to the hustle and bustle of busy New Yorkers. It was like white noise to him, very calming.

He joined the others onto the subway. It would be about a ten-minute ride for him, so he got settled in. His phone got his attention as it dinged. He had meant to turn it off. He would do so after looking at his messages again.

Taehyung
Baby, please answer
the phone. Where
are you?

Hmph. He's got the nerve to call me baby.

He decided to check his messages from Jimin.

Jimin
Hey, I just wanted
to check on you. After
what happened
yesterday, you must
be a total mess. Please
let me know you're ok.
Give me a call.

He texted him back that he was fine and that he would talk to him later. Then he turned off his phone. He needed to be able to think. Or better yet, not think.

This was his special hiding place. The borough of Manhattan had many charming and exciting places to settle into, but his favorite was a place on Lenox Ave in Harlem. The Red Rooster was an art piece in itself, but mainly an eatery where comfort food was served. The place had a bar. And there were tables at the front if customers wanted to sit in a window seat, to be able to people-watch as New Yorkers were rushing about.

His favorite thing about this place was that he could walk in and no one cared who he was. The chef and the wait staff grew to know him because of how much he frequented the place. But, other than that, The Red Rooster was a getaway spot that allowed him to keep his anonymity. 

Usually, he would need to reserve a table, but today he got one in a secluded corner of the restaurant. This spot was perfect. He could still get a glimpse of the people walking outside, while also being able to people-watch inside the restaurant itself. But, most of all, he was visiting The Red Rooster to eat his feelings, sulk while drinking, and try to sort out all the battling thoughts that ran through his mind.

He ordered fried chicken with collard greens and honey cornbread. From the bar, he got the Passion In Harlem which had cognac, lemon, passion fruit, vanilla, and champagne.* He could drink up. It wasn't like he was going to have to drive home.