39 | I Hate You Too, Baby

It was all over the news

It was all over the news. There was a major takedown of The Ice House and Splendide sex and labor trafficking rings. Detective Min Yoongi was on varying news channels giving interviews. In total, 118 people were rescued. Missing persons would be returned to loved ones. Children would be returned to their parents. It was a great day. For Detective Min Yoongi and his team, it was just another work day. A productive day, no doubt.

Before Taehyung and crew arrived at The Ice House's basement, the said 118 souls had been dropped at a pick-up site across town. The exchange was intercepted by cops who were waiting there, posed as buyers in the black market. Detective Min Yoongi was congratulated for his team's undercover efforts. Meanwhile, the city was reeling at the news that this world existed underneath all the glitz and glam of Manhattan.

That was the public story.

But, the private one that had yet to be told was that Jeon Seojun, owner of Jeon Entertainment, owned 75% of both escort houses and his team was leading the trafficking rings. Whether he knew about it was questionable. Well, not that questionable. He had been heard asking about the money and the sales.

Another private detail was that one of New York's most popular up-and-coming models, Kim Taehyung, had been shot during the sting and was undergoing surgery.

Jungkook, himself had fainted but by the time he reached the hospital, he was coherent. He was now at the hospital waiting for the doctors to come out and inform him of how Taehyung's procedure had gone. The bullet had entered his shoulder but had started to travel toward his chest. So, the doctors had to do emergency surgery. When Kook saw him last, he had passed out due to blood loss.

He wanted to bite his nails so badly. Or he needed a drink to calm his nerves. His emotions were in overload. He had just been involved in a shoot-out. He learned his father could possibly be a trafficking kingpin. Taehyung had been shot. The only good thing that came from today's events is that Fallon or Sehun was back behind bars. Even after rehearsing all of this in his brain, he hadn't shed a tear. Kook was more than likely in shock.

"Here's some green tea, Mr. Jeon," Namjoon offered.

A few cops were there waiting to hear news on the three cops that were injured.

"Thanks a lot," he said with a small mechanical smile.

This was torture. Not knowing if he was ok back there, behind the double doors that they pushed him through once they got him off the ambulance. He thought of the way Taehyung fought valiantly for those 118 people. He was just doing his job, but what a wonderful outcome.

He also worked so hard to keep Jungkook safe for all of that time during their split. And what did he give Taehyung in return? Pure hell, most days. He wondered if he'd ever get a chance to make it up to him.

Detective Min walked into the waiting area and headed straight for Namjoon for a report.

"Sir, Kim and Smithe are in surgery. And Hartz is already out and is getting ready to be placed on the floor," Namjoon reported.