Chapter 23 - To Whom do They Answer?

Luna had somehow caught up to Vennessa. To her surprise, the Falcon slowed down a bit once it noticed that she was trying to catch up.

"Those wings and the way you were keeping yourself up in the air before." Vennessa commented. "I have never seen such control of Pyro."

"Thank you, but I'm still learning."

"That was not a compliment." Vennessa responded as she looked forward. "It was merely an observation. You are not really what meets the eye, are you?"

Luna didn't know how to respond to that, but Vennessa didn't seem to expect a response either.

As they flew across the skies, Luna soon realized that the skies were darkening despite it not being night time yet.

Where-

Her train of thought was cut short when she remembered the only place that had dark skies in Mondstadt.

"Are we flying towards the Stormterror's Lair?" She asked suddenly worried. The erratic winds and magical Anemo phenomenon that occurred in that place would give Barbatos a huge advantage in the fight.

"I feel his presence there." Vennessa replied curtly. "You do not have to come with me, child."

"I do. I can assure you that your talk with Barbatos will not go well." Luna repeated her thoughts despite knowing Vennessa would most likely not change her mind. "I'm not one to simply leave my allies to die."

"That is a commendable trait to have." Vennessa said and Luna could practically feel the smile in her voice. "That was a compli-"

"Yeah, yeah, I know." Luna interrupted the minor deity. "You are too stubborn to not go see Barbatos and I'm too stubborn to let you go alone."

"Us Muratans are known for being strong willed." Vennessa said, not unkindly.

"Speaking of Muratans." Luna suddenly remembered. "Have you ever heard of someone named Elle?"

"Elle? I can't say that I have. Was she a famous Muratan?" The Falcon asked, sounding at least a little bit curious.

"I don't know. I had the terrifying experience of meeting the Murata." Luna explained, noticing mountains coming up as the skies darkened further. "And she sounded like she knew me. Called me Elle."

The Falcon turned her head to have a better look at Luna and seemingly studied her for a moment.

"Unfortunately, I have not had the pleasure of meeting Murata, and you don't look like anyone I have met before." Vennessa finally responded. "Am I correct to believe that you are suffering from some sort of memory loss?"

"Something like that." Luna went with it, not wanting to explain that some claim she is an immortal soul who is reborn again and again through several lifetimes in different worlds. After all, she wasn't sure she believed it herself completely.

"Well, if you are someone who used to have a personal relationship with someone like Murata, then that would explain your extraordinary control over Pyro." Vennessa observed. "Perhaps you really will be of help should Barba-"

Suddenly Vennessa pushed Luna off just as a jet of green wind blasted through where Luna had been mere moments ago. And she hadn't noticed until she was pushed off, but the feeling was definitely there now. The same feeling she had when she met-

"Barbatos." Vennessa said as she flared up and transformed into her human self again.

Luna saw the white hooded Archon floating in the air and felt dread. To her surprise though, he didn't look so smug as he did before. In fact, he looked- desperate?