Chapter 34 - Greener Grass or Brighter Eyes?

How exactly could you get through a cookout at your boyfriend's house when it'll be, not only your first time being at his house, but you'll also be meeting his parents for the first time? Once I woke up Liam had messaged me and asked that I come over to his house, noting that his parents wanted to meet me. For the past few weeks that we've been dating I've numerously been putting off going over to his house, I don't understand why, but it just made me incredibly nervous.

With Liam I felt comfortable, I had no tension, but the thought of meeting his parents who could possibly hate me and determine the fate of Liam and I, terrified me. And I know this might sound like typical teenage girl bullshit, but the thought of me having to eat in front of not just him, but his entire family, left me petrified. Every time Liam requested for me to come over, that's what I thought about, and I got scared, so I'd put it off.

But not today. It's been almost a month and I can't keep his parents waiting, that definitely wouldn't look good on my part. So when he asks me to come over around 3:30 for a cookout, I, with hesitation, finally grow some balls and say, yes I would love to.

It is now noon so I take a shower and let my hair dry for the rest of the time, my hair looks better when it air dries, and it takes less effort then a blow dryer. It's not till 20 minutes till I have to leave for me to actually coordinate what I should wear. I wear shorts, that of course aren't too short, I don't want to wear inappropriate shorts for this occasion, and then a floral, semi-dressy tank top. I use light makeup, realizing I don't have much time. I slip on my all black high-top converses and realize, oh shit, what do I bring to a cookout? I run into the living room where my mom is sitting, I gave her Liam's address and she said she already knew where that was, it took about 5 minutes to get there.

"Mom, what do I bring, should I bring them something? Should I have offered to make food?"

"Woah Ellie, no you didn't need to make anything, here just take some cookies." She hands me store-bought frosted cookies with yellow icing, they were my favorite kind of cookies but I feel like they won't be good enough, at least it's something right?

"Okay honey, let's go." I walk to the car and get in then fasten my seat belt, as the engine starts and the car starts moving I clutch my cookies, not just to protect them from any worse case scenario imaginable, but I'm so scared, this shit is actually happening now. I text Liam and tell him I'm on my way. He doesn't respond until I'm pulling in his driveway.

"Now remember honey, be nice and respectful, thank them, and also, be yourself, trust me, they'll like you, you're a likable girl, just use your charm." My mother halfheartedly smiles at me, trying to comfort me, my nervousness evident as I'm clutching the now unconnected seat belt. "Thanks mother."

I hop out the car and walk to the door, knocking so lightly, my cookies in the other hand. Then I hear a loud bang come from the other side, I jump, like off the ground in shock, and the door opens and Liam is chuckling on the other side, " I knew that'd scare you."

"You dick, I almost dropped these cookies I brought because of you." Trying to smile and be chill, but still nervous as hell.

"No way babe those are my favorite! But seriously you didn't need to bring anything, I'm just happy you're here." He smiles, and I grin, not showing teeth, still nervous as hell. We go through his basement, which I'm guessing is supposed to be the man cave, stocked with a pool table and like, a shit load of movies, and a huge TV. I take in his appearance as he's guiding me to the stairs. He's wearing jeans and a black shirt, which is his basically his go-to outfit, but it looks better every time. Once I look down and see he's barefoot we're suddenly stopped at the bottom of the stairs, he turns around gets close to me. "While we're alone.." and he quickly kisses me.