Chapter 6 - First Competition

I woke up happy, first time ever, especially since it was 9 a.m. But I had to be at the high school by 10:30. I walked out of bed and started brushing my teeth, then saw a text on my phone from, of course, Liam, "Good morning babe, I'm excited to see you soon, I'll save a spot for you on the bus."

My heart flutters, "Me too, but I might fall asleep, I am so tired"

After that I quickly showered off and changed into black shorts and my usual band shirt that we have to wear under our uniforms.

Then I went into the kitchen to see my mom finishing off breakfast, which including pancakes, eggs, toast, all that great stuff. She saw me and her face lit up, "Good morning sweetie, how many pancakes do you want?"

"2" I swear to god there is something up with my mom.

"Okay hun, well there are a couple already made so you can just have those."

"Thanks mom." I said, with a surprsingly happy tone.

A few minutes later she sat down and began eating with me, "your sister is working so it's just us, well for now. I might go over to Sadie's later."

Sadie is my mom's long time friend, she's the person we went to the beach with at summer, she used to live there but she's divorcing her , well, ex husband, so she's moving back up here.

"That's good mom."

"Why do you seem so happy? Is it a boy or?"

She hated that I was hugging Liam why does she seem happy now.

"Well I guess so. He's my friend, the one you saw me hugging at practice, and he's just really sweet, and I like talking to him, but I'm just trying to take things slow."

"You, my daughter are wise beyond your years."

"Thanks mom."

"Well hurry honey, we gotta leave in 30 minutes!"

I didn't even realize how quickly time had went by, but it was great, less than 30 minutes and I'll be able to see Liam.

I quickly got on my shoes and packed up my bag for the trip, that included my band shoes and black socks, a water bottle and a book, which I most likely won't be reading.

I had about 10 minutes to kill, so I just sat in the living room with my mom and stared at the TV screen which was showing the weather, we're heading further up in the state so it'll be colder, so I quickly grab some pajama pants and a jacket and stick them in my bag. And I quickly slip on some black leggings, thank goodness the shirt is long enough that is covers my bum. I don't really like to reveal my body parts to people.

"Honey, it's time to go!"

"Okay mom!"

I grabbed my bag and headed out the door, running into my mother's car.

About 5 minutes later we pulled up to the band room to see a couple of students standing outside, leaning against the brick wall, a couple of other student loading up the trailer with their instruments, I take mine out of the back of my car, along with my bag.

"Alright mom, I don't know what time I'll get back tonight, probably late, but I'll text you."

"Alright honey, good luck! Love you."

And then I shut the door and made my inside, where the air conditioning was.

The first person I saw was my friend, Daisy, she seemed really giddy, she was talking to Dan, and right beside him was Liam.

As soon as I set my bag down on one of the risers, he jerked his head in my direction, looking at me, smiling.

I smiled back and stood beside him, standing in front of Daisy and Dan. She seems very infatuated with him, they are pure opposites though, from what I've heard he's into the whole smoking pot, doing drugs background, gets into a lot of trouble, makes horrible grades, all that. And Daisy wouldn't even touch a cigarette, she's too good for that, and she's a good kid in general.

I mean, Liam told me he smokes pot on occasion and hasn't got in trouble, he also tells me he's a straight A student, which is very intimidating because I've never gotten that in my life, I'm not that smart.

I drank a little here and there, I took a puff a cigarette once, immediately regretting it, I ended up on the ground, coughing violently. But I don't really do that stuff anymore.

I was snapped out of my thoughts when I felt Liam's arm snake around my waist, I smiled at his action, he noticed, hugging me tighter.

All four of us were snapped out of our conversation when I heard Mr. Santy, the band director, talk to us about the bus arrangments, 8th graders and freshman on one bus, sopomores and juniors on the other and seniors on the third. A lot of people had a pillow and a backpack with them, which would've been smart to bring, but I only brought a drawstring bag.

We had to load into the buses in about ten minutes, I looked around the room, while the three of them were carrying on about something random, and then my eyes met Belle's.

Belle is supposedly Liam's ex-girlfriend, that's what he told me anyway. He never really told me much about her, if I brought it up, he'd try to change subjects. I don't blame him though.

She kept staring at us, she has a boyfriend now, so I don't know why she's looking over at us, when she could be texting him. I looked away and started a conversation with Daisy.

"Hey Daisy, Ellie, you should sit with me on the bus!" My friend, Jane shouted.

"I'm sitting with Liam but you should come sit by me." I told Jane.

She nodded with a huge grin, Jane was so beautiful like she is the prettiest girl in my grade. I feel so insecure when I'm with her because she's skinny and quiet and pretty. I'm none of those things.

We all soon started loading on the buses and Liam took a seat in the clear back, he told me to sit in front of him, so I did, and his friend Dan, was in the seat beside him, and Jane was in front of him, we formed a little square. I don't know where Daisy went, I wish she would've sat by Dan.

"Why can't I sit by you?" I looked behind at me at Liam, pouting.

"You wanted to sit with me?"

"Yeah?"

"Okay well get your fine ass over here"

I blushed at his remark.

I quickly bumped a seat behind me.

And then one of the chaperones spoke up, "Okay, I will only say these rules once so listen up, no fooling around, don't make loud noises or be disrespectful..."

I stopped listening to what she was saying and started making weird faces with Jane.

I stopped when the bus started moving, exiting the school. I started talking to Jane about this guy she had been talking to, they might as well be dating from what she's telling me.

Each time I turn away from Liam I notice his grip on my waist gets tighter, so I put my attention back to him, I face him. And he smiles.

"You're so beautiful"

I giggle and hide my face. No one has ever made me feel this way, made me feel all giddy and happy and warm and fuzzy and pretty, all at the same time.

"Silly, get your hands away from your pretty face."

And then he starts tickling me until I remove my hands from my face, which I do, and I can't control the laughter falling from my lips.

"Your laugh is so cute." He finally stops tickling me.

"Thank you."