Chapter 17 - Awkward Responses

Christmas is okay so far. Of course Jen and I woke up and ran downstairs and sat beside the tree, mom and dad waiting with presents around them.

Despite the divorce, my mom and dad are keeping this a tradition that all four of us sit around the tree and open presents. My dad came down from my grandma's house and my mom stayed the night here.

I got a new bike! It's really pretty, it's blue and white with a floral design, I love it! I also got some clothes, movies, music, and books.

Now Jen and I are showered, and Jen has to drive to my grandma's house, my mom's mom, and gather with my family for a Christmas dinner.

Jen and I arrive early and sit and watch TV until everybody else arrives, the smell coming from the kitchen is literally intoxicating and everyone seems to be running behind.

Finally when everyone arrives I dig into the food, filling up my plate.

"Wow someone's hungry" My annoying, old uncle remarks, laughing at his comment. Ouch.

"You bet" I say, trying not to act insulted. Yeah, he's family and I'm sure he's just joking, but goodness don't say shit like that, way to make me feel insecure, dick. Jen and I sit at the end of the table, farthest away from everyone else. My sister and I have discussed that we're not to fond of most of our family, most of them being arrogant, selfish, rude.

Jen and I kept to ourselves, and we talked to our 5 year old cousin, Angel, she's so adorable, her father, my cousin, Barry, is one of the few family members I like. We mainly talked to them, not paying any attention to my rude uncle.

A couple hours later of trying to survive the dinner, Jen and I are on our way to my other grandma's house, which is almost an hour away.

This drive is too damn short I was enjoying singing to my favorite songs on the way here. My dad's side of the family is a little better than my mom's, they aren't as rude. But most of them are stuck up and snobby.

Jen and I walk on the front porch with cookies that my mom had sent over, we're waiting outside in the freezing cold, I can see the paint chipping off the walls, the furniture becoming rusted, when I come here in the summer there are always wasps flying around this big porch. This house is big, my dad has 3 brothers and 3 sisters, both of my grandfathers died when my parents were of young age, I never got to meet them, but I have heard a lot things about them, I wish I could meet them. I imagine when my grandma and grandpa moved into this house, excited with their first child. Then years later, a few children playing in the grass in front of them, while my grandma and grandpa sat outside on this now rusted furniture, holding hands, smiling at each other, then down at their children, their blessings.

I see my dad open the front door smiling at his own blessings. We step inside, then look to the left to see my grandma and two of my uncles, "hey girls!" They shouted in unison. I smiled back at them, taking the cookies to the kitchen, seeing one of my cousins, she was my best friend for a little while, until she went off to college, and now she practically has pushed us, her family, away from her, even her own father. "Hey El" She smiles at me, she looks so perfected with her blonde hair in slight waves and her light make up and perfectly manicured red nails and white blouse and blue jeans and white teeth.

"Oh hey, Susie" I smile back at her.

"So what have you been up to?" She asks, focusing on the pot of green beans in front of her, making sure they're properly cooked.

"Oh just school really, you?"

"Me too. Just trying to manage with my roommate, she's a drama queen!"

"Oh really?" I'm not mean enough to just blow her off, if she has a story to tell, I'll listen.

"Yes! She keeps posting stuff about how I barely talk or how I'm too shy, like sorry I don't talk anough for your liking." She manages to keep her voice soft and calm throughout her little rant, a skill that is very hard to master.