Chapter 9 - Gets Better Each Time

We've been having competitions almost every weekend for a couple months.

Yes it's a pain in the ass to get out of bed early everyday, but it's so worth it.

Throughout the month, Liam and I have been doing the same thing, when we can't see other, we message from the time I wake up till we go to sleep. And we always sit by each other and hang out at the competitions.

Yeah we've been doing the same thing for about a month, but I get happier each time I see him or talk to him. I finally knew what it felt like to have butterflies in my stomach and I had those everyday talking to him. It was great. I really liked him. I was just afraid to admit that to him. I didn't want to rush things nor did I want him to think I was leading him on.

Today we were on our way to a competition that was about an hour and a half away.

This competition was going to be a long one because we also had to be in a judged parade. So more pressure, more to stress out over.

But I didn't care, I was happy, I had Liam to see. To talk to. He can make me happy.

I walked into the band room and saw my section leader, Caroline, so I decided to talk to her since none of my other friends were here yet.

She gave me a pep talk about how I'll be fine and we've practiced a lot so we'll be okay. It really did help.

I saw Liam walk in and his eyes immediately went on my face and he smiled, the usual, but it gets better each time.

I looked at Caroline, "Thanks for the pep talk, I'm gonna go hang out with Jack now."

As I was leaving I felt her grab my shoulder and whisper in my ear, "He really likes you" she smiled.

I nodded and smiled, probably blushing.

"Hey hun, why are you blushing so much?" He asked while rubbing my back.

"How many people have you told that you liked me?"

He laughed a little, "A good few. I like talking about you."

"Why?"

"Because you're amazing and I like to brag about you."

I giggled, knowing that even though we weren't dating, yet, he still bragged about me to his friends. It made me really happy.

"Wow you must really like me." I quietly mutter to myself, not expecting Liam to hear.

"I really do." He got so serious and was staring into my eyes, a smile forming. He was the cutest.

About 30 minutes later the buses were all loaded, and then we started leaving. I sat by Liam as usual, Jane siting in front of Dan, which was across from us, and Daisy was sitting beside Marina in the front of the bus somewhere.

But it was all amazing. It's the same every time, but it gets more exciting each time.

The bus ride was quick.

We all quickly gathered to the trailer and got our uniforms on and instruments on.

We all lined up for the parade.

It was freezing outside but it's better than being blazing hot out.

We started the parade and I began to get nervous, since this was being judged, I really couldn't afford to mess up. Which I have already done several times and it's not even halfway over yet.

This is torture but I have to do this but when school starts I'll only be a freshman so I have a few more years to do this. But band is fun, these people are like my second family, well a better family. This is my getaway from home.

Every part of my body is sore and freezing off but I get through it and soon enough, it's finally over. Thank god.

Everyone started to huddle around each other for warmth. We were waiting till the band director told us we could go back to the bus and eat. And he needs to hurry because I am freezing.

I huddled around Jane, Daisy, and Marina for warmth. While we were all complaining about how cold it was and how hungry we were.

I felt arms wrap around me from behind and I looked behind and saw Liam, he was smiling.

"Aren't you cold?" I asked, his skin was warm and his cheeks weren't pale like everyone else's. His cheeks were flushed.

"No, not really."

"How in the hell are you not cold?"

Jane bursted. She was pissed off. And I was starting to get irritated as well I just want to go back to the bus, change into warmer clothing and eat.

"I just don't get cold." He was still smiling.

"Hey no PDA during band hours!" One of the chaperones yelled at us. Liam reluctantly took his hands away from my waist and just stood behind me, scratching my back, which felt amazing.

The band got called over for a huddle, meeting, whatever the hell it was.

Liam stood behind me, rubbing everywhere on my back.

The band director started talking about how we could go back to the bus and change if we wanted and near the buses there were a few places to eat.

But I got distracted when Liam kept scratching my back. Then he started going a little low, then I felt his fingers graze the top of my bum, I felt goosebumps form, no one had ever really touched me like that before. It felt strange, but nice.

Then I started waking forward so he kind of squeezed my butt.

It was a long walk back to the bus, and Liam had his arm around me the whole time.

"Where are you going to eat?" Liam asked me as we were heading back to our seats.

"I don't know. Where were you planning on going?" I asked him. I would eat there with him. The girls said they'd eat wherever I ate.

"McDonald's?"

"Sure, that's what I wanted actually?" I would be more excited to go there, I love the food there, but the service isn't very good. The employees are horrible and just so cruel. But oh well.

"So McDonald's?" Marina asked, the other girls looking at me.

"Yes, unless you girls wanna go somewhere else?"

I got multiple no's from them. thank goodness I actually wanna talk to my friends.

The girls, Liam, Dan and I walk to McDonald's and Jane and I share a large fry and I got a sundae. Yes obviously it's cold as fuck outside but those are good.

Everyone else gets burgers and chicken nuggets and I have a sundae and fries and a water bottle but this will fill me up.

We all sit at a large table at the window closest to the corner of the room. How it's arranged it Daisy then Liam and I'm the corner beside Liam and Jane is at the corner beside me and sitting across from Liam is Marina and Dan is sitting beside her, so he's across from Daisy. It's complicated and I feel smushed.

We all start eating and I just start conversing with the girls about people in our grade, mainly talking about people we don't like. The boys are just sitting there quietly eating their food. Liam would occasionally laugh at some of the things I would say.

A few minutes later he's done with his meal and his hand is resting on my knee.

This isn't like any other competition, this isn't the same thing that usually happens. This little group of my friends and his friend are coming together and we're all so different, but we can just be who we are.

I feel so comfortable around Liam. This isn't like any other competition, I can feel it. It's great. Something just feels different, but a good different.