Chapter 19 - Reactions

**songs for this chapter**

roger rabbit - sleeping with sirens

how to save a life - the fray

who are you - fifth harmony

I went to school for the rest of the day, I told my friends about the surgery and they all hugged me and apologized, saying they'll visit me in the hospital. I didn't even tell Liam, I just hate the pity and getting it from my friends was enough.

I went home and told Jen, and I didn't want her to pity me I already felt bad enough because a few months ago her boyfriend broke up with her and she's been really upset about it, but I think she's kind of starting to get over him, thank goodness, I hate when she's sad.

She hugged me and started to cry, we cried together, I've only cried about it twice and that was enough I didn't want to cry.

Liam called.

"What was up with you today? You seemed really off, did something happen at the doctors?" Liam immediately knew, he always seemed to know.

"Would you rather me tell you in person?"

"Fuck that please tell me I need to know what's up."

His tone of voice showed that he was on edge, he needed answers. God telling him has been bugging me all day and I really was trying my best to blow it off but it's obvious that's not an option anymore, I wish he just didn't have to know, but I have to tell him, I have to.

"Please don't feel bad, but I'm getting surgery at the end of March."

"Oh... My... Um... What are they gonna do?"

"They'll put rods and pins in my back to straighten out my spine"

"Oh.. my god... they're gonna cut open my baby."

"Liam I'll be okay, I'll have to miss about a couple months of school but by the time recovery rolls around I'll be able to go to school for the last couple weeks."

"I know you'll be okay, but you're all I have and all I care about and the thought of you getting hurt just... hurts me... but you know what. I promise this."

"What?"

"I will visit you in the hospital, I promise, I will as much as I can, it's a promise."

"Liam I won't be able to get a shower while I'm at the hospital and I'll be there for almost a week. I'll look very bad, I'll be in a lot of pain."

"I don't really care how you'll look, you're always beautiful to me, and I already promised, it's going to happen."

"But Liam I don-"

"Nope! Don't argue about it I am."

"Thank you, Liam"

"Of course, baby"

Time flies by, closer to the day of my surgery, I'm honestly not scared, I'm just nervous. Also surprising myself by not constantly terrifying myself with the questions, "what if the anesthesia doesn't work?"

People asked me all the time am I scared? "what if I don't wake up?"

I actually trust the doctors, they perform these surgeries all the time.

What's really stressing me out is Liam acting strange lately, like in the past couple weeks, I can't really pinpoint it, but, he's been acting kind of distant, like he reminds me he loves me everyday, just not as much, I don't know, I guess this is normal, I've heard anyway, that like over time you'll get so used to each other, you don't have to remind each other every minute how much you love them or how much they make you happy, they just know. So I guess that's what's going on now, but it just doesn't feel the same.