Chapter 3 - Hugging at practice

I woke up with a message on my phone from an unfamiliar number, who is this?

This person said, "Good morning"

"Um, who is this?"

A few minutes later I get something back, "It's Liam."

What? How did he get my number? I asked him that.

"Remember at practice the other day, in sectionals we got each others numbers, like if we needed sheet music or t shirt sizes, whatever"

Oh okay then. I don't remember even giving him my number, maybe he just got it off the section leader. It's not that big of a deal to me to be honest. So I really don't get into it.

"You're coming to practice today right?"

"Of course, I really don't want to though. I'm so tired."

"Well yeah ha, you just got up silly." He just called me silly, hmm, pet name. Okay, I haven't really had a pet name before. It's cute I guess, just weird I don't know.

"Haha yeah whatever. Well I'm gonna eat, get my shower and do all that. I'll see you at practice."

"Alright. See ya then."

I drag myself out of bed and force myself to go to the kitchen and pour myself a bowl of cereal. I sit there at my usual chair at the kitchen table, alone. My mom is asleep, and my sister and father is at work.

Moments like these are the time I use to think. About everything. Lately I've been feeling like a piece of shit. Since my parents informed Jen and I about them getting a divorce a year ago, I saw it coming but, I don't know, I just didn't want to believe it.

A few years ago my dad told Jen and I that he had cheated on my mom the year before. My mom knew about it a few months after, but they wanted to wait until the summer to tell me, so it wouldn't affect my focus in school. Which to be honest, it doesn't.

But anyway, the woman my father slept with gave birth to his daughter, and her was Ava. My dad actually started crying telling us, he never cries. It was pretty emotional, I even cried, and I don't cry, ever. Which is a trait I guess I got from my father.

He also explained how he's going to have to pay a lot of money each month for her child support. Everyone was in tears at that point.

After that point, my parents tried to make it work, for Jen and I, but they had changed, and not for good, they weren't okay and they never would be. It was better this way anyway. I believed they would be happy from this change, but lately they both have been in a gloom, and I guess it has sort of, rubbed off on me.

I stop thinking about that horrible part of my short 14 years. I quickly realize I have something to look forward to, band practice. Usually I would be dreading it, especially since we already band practice yesterday, we usually have it every Tuesday and Thursday, but we have mandatory practices sometimes, because tomorrow will be raining and we just need our two practices in. But honestly I am excited to see Liam, I really like talking to him.

I spend most of my time doing random things to pass time till practice, like reading and watching TV, all that. Then at 3 my mom wakes up from her room and quickly changes then rushes out the door while saying, "After my shower I'll make dinner and then take you to band practice."

"Okay mom"

Then boom, she's out the door. Her walks usually take around and hour. She walks around our large neighborhood every day, getting in exercise, and she's been doing that for a good while. My mother is beautiful and she always makes sure she gets her long walk in every day, and doesn't eat carbs and all that shit. She honestly doesn't need to do that to herself. Then she goes and makes me feel fat whenever I get fitted for dresses or something and she mentions how I need to lay off the chips or not eat too much junk food. It makes me feel so shitty about myself, like sorry I don't work out as much as you and I don't watch what I eat, I'm gonna eat what I want and you can leave me alone about it.

No I am not the skinniest girl that you'll know, I have a tummy, a little tummy, I don't have a thigh gap and a tiny chest. I have wide hips. I have a large bust, and a round butt. I'm not just insecure from her, but in general I'm insecure. I wish I had a flatter stomach, I wish my boobs and my butt weren't so big. I wish my hips weren't so wide. But I got what I got and I'm just going to have to live with it.

Okay I really need to stop thinking about this before I cry.

I need to feel better. I don't know what to do, I have 3 more hours till practice, I don't know what I'm thinking.

I pick up my phone and message Jackson.

"Hey El, you okay?"

"I could be better" I'm not going to lie about how I feel, I don't plan on telling him everything going on, but I'll just hint him.

"What's wrong?"

"Just, I'm having a shitty day with my mother" That's kind of true. My mother and I really didn't talk at all, but remembering all the shitty moments I've shared with her just ruins me day.

"Ha, I know how that feels, but tell you what, when you get to practice I'll give you one of my famous hugs and I bet that'll make you feel better."

I could go for a hug. Now I'm excited for band practice.

My mom is home around four and she quickly makes some chicken enchiladas and takes a shower.

I'm not that hungry but fuck that these enchiladas are amazing.

I'm done eating and then I change for practice and somehow time escapes me and it's already 5:30.

Shit band practice is in 30 minutes. Oh well, I have to leave in 10 minutes, I live about 5 minutes from the high school and my section needs to be at practice a few minutes early because we're just that much of perfectionists I guess.

By the time my mom is painting her face she tells me it's time to go, I grab my instrument and rush into her car, I'm excited for that hug.

We're almost there and my mood is very good right now, I just feel so happy I don't know. Then mother has to open her big mouth.

"Those shorts are a little too short, huh?"

"No, not really they go past the top of my thighs, and it's blazing hot out."

"They're a little too short for me, next time you should check with me about what you're wearing before you go out."

I can feel the tears build up. This is the shit I deal with everyday. I literally cannot stand my mother, I'm a good kid, I get my shit done when she tells me to, I don't give her an attitude, like my sister does, and I get pushed around and treated like a fucking kid.

We finally pull into the parking lot after what feels like an hour of her ranting to me about how I shouldn't wear revealing clothes because I look like a whore.

"Okay text me when practice is over, bye."

I don't even respond, I just nod, grab my trumpet and walk over to the sidewalk where our sectionals are held. It's about 15 feet away from the parking lot and little tears sprinkle down my cheeks but I quickly wipe them up and pick up my game.

As soon as I step on the sidewalk Liam's head immediately turns to me he looks happy his smile ignites his face, but as he's walking closer to me his smile slowly fades.

I can't even look him in the eye, if I do I feel like I'll burst into tears. He looks confused.

He gets super close to me, our feet are practically touching. He leans down to my ear and whispers, "Are you okay?"

I just nod, no.

He instantly puts his arms around my waist and keeps his grip tight. I just put my arms around his neck. I dig my head into his chest, letting my quiet sobs stain his black t shirt.

I'm glad he didn't ask why I was upset, especially with us being in public, I don't think I have the courage to tell him my mom has been a cold-hearted bitch lately, and not to mention my parents have been rubbing their depression off on me because of their divorce and my sister is probably the only person close to happy in that house because her boyfriend is so amazing and all that.

But all that matters is he knows I'm not okay he's trying to do something to help me. Wow, he's truly amazing. Man he gives really good hugs. He's so cuddly and warm and oh my goodness.

We hugged for what feels like an hour before I feel like I'm about to fall. This boy just won't let go!