Chapter 23 - Play it cool

***songs for this chapter***

almost is never enough - ariana grande ft. nathan skyes

miss missing you - fall out boy

harder to breathe - maroon 5 

----------------------

Finally our bus pulls up to the outside of our restaurant. I swear Niall and I woke up the elder man in front of us from his little bus nap because our stomachs were growling so loudly. 

We step foot inside the restaurant, every few months they seem to remodel the place, the theme seems pretty cool, it mainly consists of cultures and events that occur in this town. Plastered all over the walls are pictures of people at fairs, high school football games, festivals accustomed to the people of this town. There is also high school memorobilia, old pictures of the football teams, t shirts, banners. It was all pretty cool.

The food here is better than the themes though, it's why I'm here.

Niall picks a booth that right beside a window, sort of closer to the other side of the restaurant. I don't mind though. 

We start looking through our menus before a rather attractive male waiter comes our way.

"Hey guys, how are you doing tonight? My name is James and I'll be your waiter, would you like to start off with drinks?" He smiles at Niall and I.

I look at Niall, hoping he'll know all I drink is water and he could order for me, so I didn't have to talk to this guy. But Niall being the ass he is, just looks at me, then James, then back down at his menu.

"Um, I'll.. have water, please." I attempt to smile at him, trying to ease my awkward front right now.

"Great and what about you, I'm assuming is this girl's date?"

"Oh no, we're just friends." Niall says and then looks at me.

I don't know why I'm so relieved when Niall orders his drink and then James leaves. I mean obviously I would NEVER have a chance with the waiter, he has to be at least over 21. I just get so awkward when it came to being in public, ordering my food, talking to random people, just anything involved with socializing, I'm not good at. Espsecially since our waiter was pretty cute. 

I was so caught up in ordering my drink that I didn't even notice someone had sat in a booth in front of us, the guy that was sat in the booth right behind Niall, had his back turned obviously, so he was facing the TV that was hung above the bar. I could see from the slight balding in the back of his head that he was obviously older, his straight posture showing he's probably tall, he was tapping his fingers against the light wood of the table, as if he was anxious or just waiting, and there were two drinks, maybe he's here with his wife or child. 

I look down as our drinks were handed to us by James, then we ordered our food, afterwards talking about how Niall will miss me because my surgery will keep me from school for so long. 

"You could always visit me, you know?" I suggest circling the top of my glass with my finger.

"I could, but that'd be depressing, seeing you like that."

"Like what? Death?" I smile, trying to lighten the conversation. I was never really one to handle serious situations with so much compassion, I would always try to find light on every bad situation, I always tried to involve laughter because I just want people to be happy and laugh. It's funny because I can't even do that for myself.

Our laughter sounds throughout the restaurant and we quickly cover our mouths, knowing we dragged attention from a few people trying to enjoy their meal.