Chapter 8

Ava

I'm exhausted. The travelling and the day has finally caught me up. It's only six in the evening and I still need to call my bestie, Zoe. I'm riling at the man on the lounger. I am still angry at him for being so damned good looking, sexy and so enticing. I don't know what came over me down there by the pool. Every nerve in my body felt like it was on fire and the tingling in my lower regions and warmth creeping up my stomach were alien to me. 

I am laying on my bed with the balcony doors open, the cool evening breeze is breathing its way into the room. The sheer white curtains billow slightly as the breeze travels and graces my skin. I press the vid button against Zoe's name and wait for her to pick up. I calculate it to be around eleven in the morning for her. I'm hoping its not a bad time. Zoe has her own business, she is a hairdresser and owns her own salon. Her parents died when she was young, it was a horrific car crash, it was instant. They had left her a trust fund which she was allowed at the age of twenty-one. Zoe's aunt and uncle brought her up and a lot of the time she spent with me at our house. My parents love Zoe as if she was their own daughter. We cried a million tears for her and her loss. I couldn't imagine what it feels like to lose your parents. Just the thought of losing either of mine pulls at my heart and I can feel tears beginning to well in my eyes. 

"Hey, it's my girl. How you doing?" Her cheerful voice comes booming out. Then I see her face, smiling as always. I never get bored of seeing her bright face. Zoe always has a smile, it's so uplifting. 

"Hey yourself. It's going okay. Just tired you know, a long day." I plump the bed cushions up behind me to sit up straighter and rest my tablet against my knees that are pointing toward the ceiling. 

"How is the hotel? Have you met anyone yet?" She giggles. Zoe's mission is for me to meet my happy-ever-after and she has it in her head that I am going to find him here in Santa Fe. She is adorable and I love that she has her own mission for me. But.... to be totally honest, I am not looking for a new man in my life. I'm still getting over Mark even though I've cried all the tears I'm going to cry. I still think my heart needs a bit of tlc and mending. I thought we had it all to be perfectly honest. Him changing track on me and telling me I wasn't his ideal partner anymore because I travelled for a living, well that was a game changer and not one that I was expecting. It had been like a bolt of lighting from the sky. 

"No, I've only just arrived. Besides I don't want to meet anyone new. Although, there is a rather irritating and conceited man who is staying at the hotel." I sigh. Zoe is now beaming. Any mention of a red blooded male and she thinks I'll drop my panties and begin a raucous new love affair. She's got a lot of wishing to do for sure. 

"Ooo, tell me more. Is he hot?" I can almost see her salivating for the details she makes me laugh briefly. 

"I suppose so. He's hot I guess. But bloody hell he really irritates me. It's like he knows it and he has been in my face twice today." I tell her about him being so close to me at reception and about the pool. Her baby-blue eyes are twinkling. I knew I shouldn't have mentioned Him to her so soon. Now all she is going to want to do is talk about Him.

"He might be just what you need, Ava."

"I don't think so. I really don't need any flings at the moment." 

"Listen Ava, you need to go out and have a good time. He may not be as arrogant as you think. He might have a heart of gold and from the sound of it, he has got the hots for you. Otherwise, why would he be so in your face? Listen to me girl, he is interested and you should act on it. Mark was a waste of space. Honestly that man deserves to be miserable with his new corporate girlfriend-wife." I inhale deeply at her words. Does that mean Mark already has someone new? I mean that didn't take long. We've only been separated for around six weeks. My heart skips a beat.