Chapter 61

Ava

Well, I should be surprised only I'm not; well okay, I am a bit. When you're expecting a double room and you're given a whole penthouse, it is somewhat mind-blowing. I am taken aback by the sheer enormity of this suite. Not only that but my personal member of staff has told me he is on hand for me for my stay. If I need anything I'm to ask him. Oh and also, I have the rooftop pool to myself. It's been booked out for the three day stay.

Wait until I get hold of Sebastian. I know he's a successful and seriously rich man, but honestly. A double room would have been fine. "Our room service is 24/7 and if you prefer to have a massage in your room we can organise that. Anything you need just let us know." He doesn't hang around waiting for a tip like in your average Joe hotel, no way. He nods politely and removes himself from the suite.

In the ice bucket on the table right in the middle of the suite is a bottle of champagne. This man is going to spoil me rotten. But I hasten to add, I will never forget who I am or where I have come from. I'm proud to be my parent's daughter and where I come from. Still it is rather decadent and it makes me smile. My heart crushes a bit as I miss Sebastian and feel a lump in my throat. Oh for goodness sake, girl. Get a grip. It's only for a week until you fly over to be with him.

A week. Shit, is that all it really is? Only I have an awful lot to do still. Like pack up my stuff in the apartment and ship it out to Sebastian's. We agreed we would look for somewhere new together and he's already sent me pictures of some ranches that his assistant, Elena has sent to them. A ranch. Wow. I can't wait. I am so excited to meet his daughter even though I am a nervous wreck about it. What if she doesn't like me? What if she doesn't accept that there is going to be a new woman in Sebastian's life or thinks I am going to replace her mother? I shake my head to try and shift the anxiety and instead go towards the round walnut table in the middle of the suite. In a tall crystal vase is a bouquet of flowers with a small card. I open the cream envelope and read the note.

To mi carina, welcome to my favorite hotel in New York. I want your stay to be as beautiful to you as you are to me. If you need anything ask for it. I love you more today than yesterday. Stay safe and take care my darling. Only a week until I hold you in my arms again. His signature is at the bottom with several kisses. So now I'm wondering, when exactly did he have time to get to New York and personally sign a card.

I wonder if he had his jet make a detour, only it is most definitely his handwriting. I'd know his distinct signature anywhere. I hug the card to my chest, then lift it and kiss it and place it standing against the vase.

The late afternoon sun shines through the floor to ceiling windows and spreads an orange hue across the white sofa and chair that stand close to them. I slip off my Nike trainers and allow my toes to curl in the wool rug under my feet. It feels like heaven after them being shoved in my trainers for the last few hours.

The view from the penthouse is spectacular. I can see the Empire State building from here. It's worthy of some picture taking. Easily I slide my camera around to my front and raise it to eye level. Align and re-set the focus and start to snap away.

I don't hear my phone is ringing and that Sebastian is calling me from his jet to see how I am. Yes, I am that girl who forgets to take it off airplane mode. Once finished with my picture snapping, I place my camera down on the white Damask covered sofa like it's a baby and stretch my arms above my head. What I need is a shower to wash the flight off me. Even though he flew me first class, another thing he should not have done, I still hate that whole flight feeling. He did offer to fly me in his jet before routing back home to Spain and I had to be really pushy back, saying no way. The compromise was a first class ticket to New York.

Do I ever think I'm going to get used to this lifestyle? I don't know. It's so wildly different to what I'm used to. Just the thought of knowing you can have anything you want, whenever you want, however you want. It's intimidating to say the least.

I'm eager to go out and explore, my legs need stretching and I crave some fresh air. So far I've only had airport, cabin and taxi air. Instead of the show, I slip back into my trainers, grab my purse, sling it over my shoulder with my camera and head across the open plan space until I reach the private lift. Impressive. It slides open immediately. Is this thing sensor detection?

Within seconds I'm downstairs in the heart of fantasy opulence. I still can't believe it. Me. Here. I could cry with happiness but I guess I'll be doing that when I am finally with Sebastian.

"Ava. Ava. Is that you?" I hear someone calling after me as I walk along the sidewalk. I recognize that voice but surely it can't be. Or is it? Instead of stopping I carry on walking because I do not know anyone in this city. And also if it is who I think it is, I really don't trust what I would do.

"Ava. Hold up. I know it's you. Ava. Stop."