Chapter 31

Sebastian

I can tell Ava is slightly drunk she seems more chatty and engaged. I actually think she is flirting with me and to be honest I haven't got a clue what I should do. It has been a beautiful evening. My friend Antonio has made the terrace even more stunning than I can remember. There are fairy lights everywhere, a hammock in the corner that to be honest I'd love to lay on with Ava in my arms. Just rocking gently away as the fresh evening air brushes our skin delicately and we stare up in wonderment at the stars.

I love to look at the stars, I find them amazing, peaceful and a total mystery. The moon is not quite full tonight but nonetheless it is gracing the sky with its presence. Ava is telling me about her ex. The one I'd like to smack in the face. He makes me so angry that he has literally discarded Ava for being who she is. What angers me the most is him knowing that Ava's profession is lucrative as an influencer with a large on line presence and yet he has belittled it. As if the beautiful woman sitting in front of me needs to adapt to being a stay-at-home. I'd never ask that of a woman especially not this free spirited young woman. I cannot help but gaze into her eyes as talks, she has drawn me in even if this is not her intention. I love her American accent, it is soft and gentle that I am absolutely beguiled by her. The other thing I love is how expressive she is with her hands.

"So of course it hurt when I found out from my best friend, Zoe that Mark had already moved some awful woman called Charlotte into our home." She sighs and I want to reach out and stroke her face but I refrain from doing so. I don't want to be too forward. Instead I take a sip of my champagne and stay quiet for her to continue.

"I mean of all people, Charlotte. But I suppose she's more his type than I am. Or at least than I am now. He didn't seem to mind before, you know for the last six years." I can see how visibly upset she is about the situation. I want to hold her and comfort her, to tell her it will be alright her heart will heal. I want to be the man that heals her, the man that makes her forget that prick. The man she smiles for. I wish so many wonderful things for Ava.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to talk about him all evening." She wipes a tear away with her right hand.

"It's understandable, Ava. It is perfectly normal to talk about the things that have hurt you especially when you have had your heart broken and like you said, unexpectedly." She nods and holds her head low. It takes all my effort not to lift her chin up. I sit patiently.

"I guess but you know it is so beautiful here and you've obviously gone to so much trouble to make this a magical evening for me and here I am harping on about my loser ex boyfriend. I need to get over him."

"You will in time my beautiful, American Girl." Her nickname brings out a smile on her lips and I am bracing myself for her comeback for calling her that. Only she doesn't instead she takes her champagne glass and sips from it.

"Tell me something about yourself, Sebastian. Enough about me already."

"Well what do you want to know."

"Any skeletons in your closet, exes that could seek us out and want to stab me for being out with you this evening? I'm sure there are many women would love to harpoon me right now. I've checked you out online." She tilts her head to the right. I laugh.

"Ava sweetheart there are no women who would want to hurt you. They are the type of women who only want to be seen with me to boost their profiles. They aren't really interested in me as a man. There are no skeletons in my closet." Well there may be one but we're too early to go there right now.

"How did you amass your fortune?"

"My father taught me the ropes, made sure I finished my education and lent me some money to start my business. He said it was a loan that had to be paid back and he applied interest. It made me determined to be successful. My parents are wonderful people and have always supported me. Now we sometimes do business together and have joint projects around the world. In fact, I heard you are going to be leaving Santa Fe soon. Is this correct? I watch her wanting to kiss her but I sense that any advances would be rebuffed. Even though I can see she is blushing every time I flash her my smile. It's not difficult she is the sort of woman that would make any man smile from ear to ear. She's easy to be with, intelligent and aside from talking about her ex who upsets her, she is fun, witty and sassy. I am relieved he didn't crush that in her with ending their relationship.