Chapter 45

Sebastian

I'm not prepared to let her go, not just like that. All sorts of emotions are running through me right now from anger, hurt, longing to desperation. I shrug the guards arm off me who has appeared by my side trying to escort me out of the building. I'm not an unreasonable man, he has a job to do and I can see why they want me out. I am causing a distraction and everyone is now surrounding me. Great this will look good on YouTube. 

I try everything in my power not to be snapped but this losing Ava like this is unbearable. "I'm going." I say to the guard. He releases my arm and lets me walk away. People begin to clear the way so I can at least get through. One man shouts out, "go after her. Don't let her get away." I nod. It is not my intention to let her simply fly away. I have a private yet. My next calls are to my pilot, my assistant and my driver.

"I need you to have the jet ready in thirty minutes." I tell my pilot. He doesn't question me, even though I'm probably pushing it. "We're flying to Chicago." I hang up and call my assistant. 

"Can you have the concierge in Chicago know I'm flying in and will arrive later this afternoon their time. Oh and I need to know where Ava Gardner lives. The girl I've been spending time with." My assistant doesn't utter a word. She doesn't mention anything about the remainder of my hotel tour I am supposed to be doing. Her experience and professionalism has always been demonstrated, she'll handle all the necessary calls and excuses. Somethings in life are more important and Ava right now is my priority. She is the top of my list. I feel like I can't breathe without her by my side. 

"Will you be going straight from Chicago to Japan? Do I need to revise the schedule?" She asks. I'm sure my change of plans is going to be causing her an awful lot of additional work. I don't really like to cause my loyal assistant any kind of stress but this is non-negotiable. 

"I'll keep you posted. I don't know right now." Softly she responds.

"Sebastian, it'll work out fine. Whatever has caused Ava to run from you, I'm pretty sure you can both resolve it." 

"I hope so, Elena. I really hope so. Oh and can you get hold of my father please and explain to him that I have to fly to Chicago. We caught up for the briefest moment here so he knows I'm on a mission. And sorry that I'm causing you all this extra work."

"No problem, Sebastian. I just hope that whatever is going on between you, you can get it sorted." 

"I'm heading straight for our airport, we're taking off in thirty." 

"Good luck." Elena drops the call, she's got enough to be getting on with especially with the last four hotels she needs to try and rearrange somehow. It won't be easy since I do plan on going to Japan. I've got a lot riding on the hotel out there and we have investors so it is imperative I get there. Then I fly to Scotland where we are in negotiations with a landowner to purchase the land and the old castle they have. We plan to turn it into a luxury spa retreat. My father and I are also considering taking on a chateau in the south of France, we're still talking about that. He is more for it than I am. At the moment I don't want to handle any of this, I just want to get back on the right side of Ava and try to sort this out. 

I've got a lot of talking to do when I do finally catch up with her and have the opportunity to speak to her. "Elena, it's me again. Try an Ava Gardner in the Lake View area of Chicago. Or maybe her parents are listed. I know she has a best friend called Zoe. When I land I'll check into my apartment at the hotel."

"That's for the best, Sebastian. She'll need time to settle back after a long flight, see her parents and family you know. Give her some space. At least twenty-four hours. She'd may have clamed down by then." Elena is a very wise lady and we're at least thinking the same way. 

My driver opens the car door, people have thankfully had their fill of recording and taking pictures of me, I don't even want to look online. Elena will handle everything and see what she can have taken down. I'll send her a message. "Sir."

"To the airport please." I sit in the back and rest my head back whilst he navigates us away from the main airport to our smaller air field less than twenty minutes away. My eyes take in the mountains that surround us, the olive trees and the farmers out on their tractors. It never ceases to amaze me how in this grueling heat they continue to work. Siesta time doesn't exist for many here anymore. I can't ever recall my father having taken a siesta. Not in my life time. I close my eyes and think of Ava. Her beautiful smile, her gorgeous body and how she made me feel. My stomach twists in knots. I am not about to accept this is over. I do, however, have one more call to make.

"Marissa, change of plan. I can't take her this weekend. I am flying to Chicago." I hear her screeching the other end. 

"I have plans, Sebastian and you have a responsibility. This is a bit last minute." Her voice is shrill and bitter. I have never liked my exes sister, she's always been somebody I'd love to have less to do with but she is in my life now permanently. Only I'm trying to resolve this, it's going to take time to sort out, but sort it out I will. 

I hang up there is no point having more conversation with Marissa than required. She'll get over it. My pilot is waiting by the jet at the bottom of the steps alongside my flight attendant. "Good afternoon, Sir." He says. "Flying conditions are perfect today and we should be able to land in ten hours and fifty minutes, maybe a little less time." 

"Thank you, Mikael." I smile at my flight attendant Sonia. She allows me to go up the steps first then follows behind with Mikael. My driver, making sure I am on board begins to maneuver the car and pull away. I take a seat in my leather chair and stretch my legs out in front of me. As soon as we've taken off I'll get up and change out of this suit that feels like it is stifling me. I always have a change of clothes on board. My laptop has appeared. "Thank you Sonia." She offers me a drink. I opt for iced water and coffee. 

My stomach is churning, the thought of seeing Ava and explaining everything to her has tied me up in knots. All of these raw emotions and physical feelings are new to me. It has been a long time since a woman has affected me and now when I meet with Ava. Hopefully that is. I will have to bring them to the fore and tell her everything she needs to know.

Only then will I know for sure if Ava will still want to see me at all. I've kept something so important from her about my past that it makes me sick with nerves to know that she may just reject me forever. It's a risk I have to take. I absently cross my fingers because who knows if I can even find Ava and when I do if she will speak to me. I'm hoping Elena gets something, if not we'll have to do a bit of digging. Chicago is a big place.