Chapter 68

Ava

My meeting with my agent went so well, I could cry. Literally. They are so excited to have me on board and have confirmed they are after a three book deal. I have to stop from pinching myself and my advance means I have no worries about money for quite a while. They have also said that they see no reason why they won't be after more work from me. Can you believe it? I can't. This happens to other people not me, yet it just has and I feel like I am floating on cloud 9. On top of that I just checked my YouTube channel and I have hit over 1M subscribers and have a few new advertising requests.

Now I have the whole day to myself to finally be the tourist I want to be in this magnificent city. I know it's not for everyone but it is for me. I love the hustle and bustle, people going about their business, dressing how they want and being the person they want to be. I find New York a liberating place to be, there is no shyness or awkwardness. Everyone is unique and the pictures I'm going to be able to capture will fill an entire book. I am grinning like a Cheshire cat. People don't care, they don't notice. They're so busy on their mobiles, talking as they walk and just minding their own business.

I check my phone and take it off silent so I can hear if Sebastian rings me. It's already lunch time here so I know in Spain it will be nearing seven in the evening. There are no messages. That makes me feel a bit uneasy. Surely, if Arabella was fine with me coming on board, Sebastian would have messaged me. Wouldn't he? Only if it were me, I'd be so excited to share this news with him. It's marring my excitement slightly but my mother always says, no news is good news, Ava darling. Stop worrying. I can't wait to see my folks, Dad will no doubt have the champagne on ice and Zoe. Well Zoe is going to go nuts. She is the one who had so much faith in me, my best friend forever. I could kiss her.

I've made my way out from Lexington and towards The Empire State building. It's only a couple of miles and I can take in the Rockefeller Centre on the way, I may even detour marginally and go and check out Radio City Music Hall. I've never visited it on previous trips so yes, I think I will do that. It'll distract me from wondering what's happening at Sebastian's end.

I'm itching to message him, but hold back. The last thing I want to do is interrupt time between him and his daughter. It's been over a week since he actually saw her and then it was fleeting since I decided to behave like a complete jealous idiot seeing him with Mirabella. It all feels like it was so long ago rather than just last week, what with everything that has been going on.

I look up at Trump Tower and it is so impressive as are all the tall buildings in this city. It's imposing with its large gold letters, and dark smoked glass windows. You know what? I think I'll go inside and up a floor to the restaurant and grab myself some lunch. Then I'm just going to send a quick message to Sebastian. I want to share my exciting news with him, I want to speak with him but that doesn't look like it's going to happen right now. And, I also want to share my news with mom, dad and Zoe. The Empire State building isn't going anywhere, I will head off back in that direction after I've eaten. My stomach is making some pretty hideous noises telling me it is definitely time to eat.

It's decadent and glossy inside. A wall fountain is in front of me slightly to the right. Could you imagine something like this in your home? It makes me smile because I bet if I happened to mention it to Sebastian, he'd only bloody go and organize one. I'll keep it to myself. I know he's a bulti-billionaire but still.

Often, I thought I would feel out of place in surroundings such as this but I don't. People aren't all dressed up to the nines in suits and smart dresses and skirts. It's such a tourist place to hang and all sorts of people are inside oohing and ahhing and snapping pictures. I raise my camera having set my portfolio down by my legs and start taking pictures. Wishing that I had simply gone back to the hotel with my cumbersome portfolio. Oh well, too late. I'm here now.

Lunch is a simple egg and tuna salad, one of my favorites and of course faithful coffee. It never lets me down and it certainly doesn't stalk me around the streets of NYC. Unlike Mark. Why am I thinking of that idiot again? Crikey, can't I just stop thinking about him? Why does he have to invade and intrude my thoughts like this? I could honestly slap myself for allowing this to happen.

As if by instinct, I glance around me just to make sure he is nowhere in sight. I honestly don't think he is stalking me but after Sebastian being so uncomfortable about it, well I guess it got me to thinking. He could have had business here in New York only I thought he was covering Chicago and the West Coast not the East Coast. Anything could have changed, it was after all six months ago when he told me our days were over. And what about Charlotte and him now working out, telling me he wants me back? Seriously, I think that man is derailed. I'm doing it again. I am allowing my mind to think up all sorts of shit. Ava stop it now. He's not stalking you. It's perfectly reasonable that he had business here in New York. Stop doing this to yourself. Sebastian is being over protective and paranoid.

Convincing myself to behave from these delusional thoughts, I continue to eat my salad in this tranquil setting. My phone vibrates on the table where I've placed it in front of me. It's Sebastian. Thank God. Finally!

How did the meeting with your agent go? Just seeing his message has made me smile and lifted me.

It went amazing. I can't tell you how excited I am. A 3 book deal. Can you believe it???? It's just WOW. I'm over the moon. I wait the few seconds and see that he is typing by the blue dots on the screen.

I knew you would do it. You're so talented, your pictures deserve to be seen by the world. You have an obligation to share your vision with the world, Ava my darling. You astound me. Congratulations. We will need to celebrate when we see each other.

I want to kiss my screen. Just the mention of seeing each other sends shivers up and down my spine. Warmth creeps through my body from the pit of my stomach up my chest and I know I'm blushing.

Absolutely. I'll be there in just three weeks. It's going to fly by. I've only got the apartment to sort out so Zoe can sub-let although she is talking about moving in with Nate. Everything can go into storage until you've decided where we're going to live. Sebastian I cannot wait. I am so excited to see you and feel your arms around me. Xx

There is no movement on the screen, he's not typing. Perhaps Arabella is with him and it's difficult to type and pay her attention. I need to be patient. But I'm bursting with excitement, I feel as if I'm going to explode. It's so high in my chest that it is threatening to come out of my throat. I'm sure everyone around me can sense I'm on some kind of high.

I see the blue dots moving around, he's typing again. It takes me twice to read the message he just sent because I can't believe what it says. I think I'm going to die. My heart is racing, I've got heart palpitations and I feel as if I'm about to bawl into tears and break down. It's becoming difficult to breathe.