Chapter 30

Ava

I'm sitting here watching him as he speaks to someone on the phone. His driver no doubt and I am nervous and excited both at the same time. I'm wondering what on earth I am doing agreeing to this dinner date. And I am also worried what might happen after dinner. Will I allow him to give me a chaste kiss or will I take us to the first base. I haven't dated not properly since before I met Mark and that was when I was nineteen. So you see it's been over five years. I am seriously out of practice.

Has time moved on so quickly that I'm out of touch with dating? I wonder if I should quickly Google modern day dating. I mean are the bases even the same? Do they have the same meaning? Only nowadays the world seems to be a bit sex obsessed and well I am a healthy woman and I certainly give my vibrator some action, but with a man so soon after Mark. Is it right? Is it normal? None of this is normal to me and to be perfectly honest, I feel exactly as I did on my first date all those years ago. 

My palms are slightly damp from nerves. We've not even arrived to a restaurant yet and I am already sick with worry about the evening. Here's the thing. I fancy him. I don't want to. I really want to dislike Sebastian. I want to find him ugly and off-putting. Then of course I wouldn't even be sitting here in a corner waiting for him to come back to me. Perhaps I ought to go back to my room or run out of here and escape. Only that won't work because he is sort of right by the entrance to the hotel. And... well he knows what room I am staying in and I can only imagine he would come and knock on my door to check I'm alright. 

Now I am thinking I shouldn't have been quite so brave because I feel like a bundle of nerves. My stomach is doing flips, butterflies are assaulting me and fluttering up my chest and out of my throat. Perhaps I'm having palpitations. Oh God. What if I drop down dead of a fancying-a-man-heart attack. Do you think that is even a thing? Oh Ava, behave. You're just nervous and scared and what is scaring you the most? 

I think about that for all of a nano-second because I already know I am scared of the way he is making me feel. With his dark hair, those tiger-eyes, broad shoulders, a high tight butt that would sit easily on a football player and that smile that lights up his face and takes all his concerns away. I'm definitely a bit hot and flustered. My body is betraying me like Delilah betrayed Samson. It wants him so badly and I have to admit I am wondering what those lips would feel like on my own. Shit. I am in big trouble.

Such big trouble.

Humongous trouble.

Badass trouble.

To steady my nerves and in the vain attempt to stop thinking about what will happen after dinner, I take a sip of wine. Alright so I lied,  I knocked the glass back, less than a second later the waiter arrived and refilled it for me. I may as well get slightly inebriated it will calm me down. 

"Are you ready American Girl." His smile dazzles me, my heart beats faster and I want to throw myself at him there and then. Crikey this is very unlike me. My mother would not be proud of the wanton thoughts that are currently spiking my mind.   

I gulp and reach my hand out to his extended hand. The electric shock shoots straight through my fingers, up my arm and into my heart. Holy Flip. I clearly haven't had enough wine. I am wondering if he has noticed. Did he feel it? His eyes remain fixed on mine. "My driver is ready. We are going to the Malaga Club. I have booked the terrace for us, we will be private." Wow. A whole terrace. I gulp again and want to reach for my wine glass but remind myself I need to stay sober. Dutch courage is one thing, getting plastered before eating is another. And let's face it, who knows where that could lead to. Plenty of places I hope on the one hand and on the other, well I an shocked with myself.