Chapter 12

Ava

I gulp my second coffee aware of him standing there dressed in navy shorts and a pale blue shirt. It shoes off his bronzed skin and sexy forearms. I think I'm drooling. Yes I am definitely drooling. I watch as his eyebrows furrow. He looks to be having an intense conversation. I wonder who he is talking to. It could be an argument or misunderstanding with the woman in his life. That makes me feel knotted in my stomach. Why am I knotted? Gosh it's not as if I am dating this man or have any designs to do so. I already know he is conceited and arrogant because he invaded my space. Not once but twice. 

He runs his free hand through his mop of hair, it falls forward. He tries again to no avail. It's so damn sexy and I want to run my fingers through it and pull his face to mine. It's either hot outside, or it is the caffeine rush. But I am definitely feeling a bit too warm right now. I can't peel my eyes away from his slender hips and the toned legs. I already know he has rock-hard abs and has the perfect v going right down to his cock. It wasn't as if much was left to the imagination yesterday when I was ogling him from the corner of my eye. 

Even though I felt conflicted with being really angry with him and totally and inexplicably drawn to him. I feel myself zinging. It's got to be the coffee. I stab my scrambled egg with my fork and bring it up to my mouth. It misses spectacularly since I can't keep my eyes off this man.

Mabel and Albert smile at me from their table close by. She is mouthing something to me and pointing towards the Adonis as he still remains on his mobile. Now he is rubbing his left hand across his furrowed brow. Whatever is going on, he looks to be having a tough time. I imagine some diva at the other end with iced blonde, glacier hair, startling blue eyes and a body to die for. That would be the kind of woman he'd be seen with. I may have to confess that right now my imagination is running somewhat wild. Yet I don't see him with anyone other than a highly polished woman. That takes me suddenly to Charlotte.

My heart knots and feels as if it has fallen to the floor.   Charlotte. Bitch. I know for a fact Mark must have been seeing her behind my back. Nobody could move that quickly and she's living in what was once my home. Sitting on my sofa, sleeping in my bed. The bed that I bought with it's beautiful brass and iron bedstead. I bought it from a vintage market and restored it. I left everything when I moved out to rent myself a small apartment not even with a backyard. I wish I'd not been so hasty and taken the things that were mine, other than my clothes and books. Of which there were a lot. Books I mean. I am a book addict, hoarder, reading geek. 

I try to take my mind off Charlotte, my once home the one I thought would be my forever home and focus on getting the scrambled egg successfully into my mouth. It works. I have thankfully regained the skill to eat like an adult instead of a three year old. Good for me. 

The waiter comes and hovers. "Can I you get you anything else?" He smiles. I notice his dimples and the shyness. I suppose at his age, seventeen at a guess, I was shy too. In fact I know I was. Painfully shy and when Mark did ask me to go out on a date with him, I couldn't believe it. I mean me. Plain me when with his sandy coloured hair, blue eyes and a cute grin he could have had his choice of the girls in our school. But he chose me. This is why it hurts so damn much. I gave up five years of my life to be with Mark and aside from travelling for my own business, I was always there for him. I'm smarting. 

"I'll have another coffee please. Thank you." I smile back despite the pain in my chest. It feels as if I can't breathe, like someone has grabbed my insides and twisted them up. I try to take some deep breaths. I run from wanting to cry to wanting poking Mark and Charlotte's eyes out. None of which will do me any good. He's moved her in and she's sleeping in my bed. The waiter nods politely, he's probably thinking I am some kind of caffeine junkie. Well he wouldn't be too wrong there. I am a huge coffee drinker, it's something I need to work on. I won't have another after this one for a few hours. I am already beginning to feel wired out. 

I finish the rest of my breakfast whilst trying very hard not to keep looking at Him even though I am hurting still over Mark. It's so confusing. Really confusing. How can I possibly be hurting this much yet wanting to stare at another man? Perhaps I'm not normal. I try hard not to fixate on it and wait for my coffee to arrive. 

Sebastian finishes his call and looks out to the terrace where he instantly spots Ava. Drawn to her like a bee to a flower he can't help himself and unwittingly finds his feet taking one step in front of the other until he is at her table. "Excuse me." His voice is soft. 

Fuck it! I just dropped my smoked salmon in my lap and my fork on the floor. "You gave me a shock." I blurt out, retrieving my fork from the ground. Only now as I glance up my face is practically in his groin. I feel myself blush. 

"I wondered if I might sit here with you for breakfast." I glance up into his tiger like eyes and am swooning. I could drown in those. I am drowning in them. 

"Why? There are plenty of other tables." I place the fork on the side, I won't use it now that it's been on the floor. I do realise my tone was a bit pinched. He says nothing for a few seconds. Clearly from the look of him, he isn't used to women being so direct. I bet he has them falling all over his feet. I am now hot and flustered. I can feel the heat from the pit of my stomach, travelling up my chest, neck and resting on my face. 

"I think it would be nice to get to know each other." He says smoothly as he smiles. I can't tell if he is being sarcastic and playing with me or being genuine. I want to say yes, who wouldn't? It's not as if you get some sexy, red blooded male wanting to sit with you ever day. 

"I'd rather finish my breakfast alone if you don't mind." I flick my hand at him. Oh. My. God. Did I really dismiss him? That's so bad of me. Now I feel guilty. His smile widens and I see his eyes dancing. God I hope he doesn't see me as some kind of conquest. 

"I understand. Perhaps we could have dinner instead?" He tucks his mobile into his short's pocket. I can't take my eyes away from his groin. Ava get your eyes above his waistline right this minute. I'm literally screaming at myself. He will have noticed they haven't moved for a few seconds. I correct myself.

"Why?" 

"Because I find you beautiful, American Girl." 

"Right. Well I'm busy." I retort like a petulant child.

"Tomorrow perhaps. I can take you to the hills and we can have a magical dinner." He suggests.

"Nope. Busy tomorrow too." I look pointedly at him whilst crossing my arms defensively across my chest. I see his smile broaden. I don't mean to be challenging but he has somewhat taken me by surprise. Besides what does he want to have dinner with me for in the first place? I'm sure he has some woman dangling by a thread somewhere else. 

"You are busy every night?" He asks still standing so close to me I can smell the warm tones of cinnamon and lemon from his aftershave. I physically clench my fingers to my arms to prevent me from reaching out and touching him. This is insane. I am grieving over my demised relationship with Mark. I'm not supposed to be getting so hot and bothered over this man and his close proximity to me.  

"Pretty much. Listen I don't want to get involved with anyone. I am only here for a week." I feel that I should at least give him an explanation. "I've just broken up with someone and definitely not interested in getting together with anyone right now." Our eyes meet. I melt. Damnit. "Besides you probably have a girlfriend somewhere tucked away and I don't do second fiddle." 

"It is only dinner American Girl. Not a marriage proposal. I understand. It is is a shame as you are so beautiful and I would love to show you our stunning country. As you wish." He nods his head, his eyes still on mine. I want to kiss his lips, they are the perfect shape and full. I'd die for lips like his. Drat. I've pushed him away. Good. You haven't come here for a relationship. I try to reason with myself. Then hear Zoe's words ringing out. 

"Make sure you have fun, wild passionate sex with a random stranger at least once. Kiss under the stars and allow yourself to live, Ava if only for a week. Forget about Mark. He's the biggest loser I know. You deserve to be happy and where better than in Spain. Get yourself a fantastic hot Spanish man. You know what they say about Spanish men in bed." She had laughed out loud and I have to admit it made me giggle. So now I am wondering if perhaps I've been a bit uppity. Maybe I do deserve to let go a little bit and have some fun. Only I'm scared and I really haven't got a clue what I'm doing or how I feel.