Chapter Thirty ~All Dressed Up~

Chapter Thirty

All Dressed Up

Alex

**Please read the author's note at the end, it may explain some things...**

                When I opened my eyes I was looking at the new but familiar walls of my new room. I must have fallen asleep waiting for Jace, but how did I get in here? Jace never came back last night; at least I don't think he did. I sat up slowly, letting the soft white sheets fall to my waist. I look over and see Jace sitting on the couch on the other side of the room with his head down and his hands clenched on his knees. I completely forget my earlier fear of him and rush to his side. I kneeled down in front of him, but he refused to meet my eyes.

                "Jace?" I breathed, holding his clenched hands.

                "I'm sorry," he breathed roughly. "I didn't mean to snap at you."

                "Why did you snap?" I asked gently.

                "I've just been frustrated lately and-" he abruptly cut himself off and his fists started to shake.

                "And, what?" I implored.

                "I don't want you to know," he said, his voice so weak.

                "Jace please tell me what's going on," I begged. "I want to help you."

                "I-I"

                "Please."

                Jace sighed and leaned his head forward to kiss my forehead. He stood us up and led me to the bed where he laid us down and rested his head on my shoulder.

                "It's Carl and Lane," he started. "They've been leaving things that wolves consider threats to one's family or mate."

                "What kind of things?" I asked, gently stroking his hair.

                His voice was hesitant and quiet, almost as if he didn't want me to hear him. "They've been leaving little notes with pictures of us, of you. They've also been leaving dead animals with their throats ripped out. That's something a wolf does when he's trying to win his mate over or win her back."

                "How do you know they're leaving the animals?" I knew without a doubt that they were probably the ones leaving the notes, but what about the animals?

                "Because they've been left in front of the house," he said. "They've been left where I can see them and where you would've seen them if you had left the house."