Chapter Fourteen- I'm sorry

Chapter Fourteen

Alex

Three Weeks Later

     The same sound that lulled me into sleep every night was my alarm every morning.

     Beep

     Beep

     Beep

     Beep

     And every night it helped me sleep. It meant he was still breathing and here, but at the same time he wasn't. He was still with me with his body, but he couldn't talk to me.

     He couldn't hold me.

     He couldn't kiss me.

     He couldn't tell me that he loved me.

     Every day I stayed by his side. Everyone in the pack visited their Alpha and Luna, giving me their condolences. I couldn't say anything. All I could do was nod once and continue to stare at Jace clutching his hand. They said he was getting better every day, but to me he wasn't better until he was awake and had his arms around me again. They still didn't know what happened to him, but they had a few ideas.

     The first was it could've been wolfsbane injected into his blood stream somehow. Wolfsbane is used by hunters to subdue a werewolf and then kill them. It was used by wolves until a while ago when all the alphas came together and declared that wolfsbane was banished and couldn't be used. If caught, the punishment was death.

     The second was a drug called Nightwitch. Nightwitch was a drug that caused werewolves extreme pain and eventually a comatose state or, in higher doses, death. That was banished as well by the same group.

     The third idea was they were both used on Jace. The doctors said that they found traces of both drugs in his blood system. They didn't know how he survived it. Alone the drugs are bad enough, but together, even the smallest dosage could be lethal. To be honest I didn't really care how he survived it, all I cared about was that he did. That he was still alive. Now all we have to figure out is who would try to kill him and how they got ahold of the drugs. I already had an idea of who did it. My father. He's tried to kidnap me, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was him.

     Chris and Sara came by a few times and they always left disappointed that I didn't play with them, but at the time I didn't really care.

     I lost some weight over the past 3 weeks. I didn't eat much, and when I did it was cause Grant forced me too. I rarely ever left his side, in fear I wouldn't be there when he woke up. Usually I would sit next to him on the bed all day, running a hand through his soft, silky hair, and with the other hand I would cling to his hand.

     As I sat there, stroking his hair and clinging to him like every other day, a miracle happened.

     His hand moved.

     Ever since he was in a coma his fingers would twitch every now and then, but this time, this time, his whole hand moved.

     To say I was surprised would be an understatement. I sat there frozen waiting for him to move again.

     But instead, I got something even better.

     "Alex," he murmured, clenching his hands and squeezing his eyes. Hearing his voice again made my heart soar.

     "Jace." I whispered. I leaned in closer to him as his eyes fluttered open. Seeing his ocean blue eyes was my little piece of heaven. He was my heaven. "You're awake." I whispered, my voice cracking as tears trailed silently down my face. "How do you feel?"