Volume 3: Last day before the Special Exam

Fukazawa Touma Monologue

I always respected and admired my dad...

For me...the man named Fukazawa Yukichi was my ideal and what I wanted to become in the future.

A person with conviction, strong, good values, morals, compassion and respect for your surroundings...

Becoming the best version of myself and a good person.

Younger I thought it was the common and unique path. The path that everyone needed and wanted to take while growing up...That it was the rational way of thinking to become a "good" person.

But I quickly started to realize that it was maybe not the case for everyone...My idea of this path which I thought was the only one slowly started to shatter when I started seeing the other kids of my age or even their parents.

What caused this divergence of views?

Was it due to them not having a role model like my father to guide them?

Was I only able to take this path because I was the son of Fukazawa Yukichi and Okamoto Hina?

I started asking myself those questions until that day...

That day when my father came back home with my "brother"

Yukichi: Touma here your new brother Yato... I want you to consider him and love him like a member of our family and your older brother...

Back then it was the words my father told me when he introduced me to Yato.

The concept of adoption wasn't clear back then for my age, but I didn't mind or ask any questions about the situation...

I just applied my father's words and considered Yato as a member of the family like my parents did.

Fukazawa Yato was my older brother, end of the story.

The both of us started growing up with Fukazawa Yukichi as a role model...

I first thought, just like me he would take the path that seemed evident to me. Becoming a person like Fukazawa Yukichi was...a "good" person.

After all, he was raised by him, he was his son, and my father was able to guide us on this path...

But...

I finally started to understand that I was wrong once again.

These questions I had about why people weren't seeing the same path as me became clearer with Yato's presence in my life.

Despite the fact that my brother seemed to admire and respect my father...

I saw it...

That he couldn't apply and become like my father or me...it just seemed impossible for the person he was.