Volume 4: Desir to fight

Chapter 6

Yato Pov:

The 10th day of the special exam was about to start. As usual, Ryuji and I got up quite early to prepare ourselves.

Yesterday, after I parted away with Fuka and managed to gather back with Ryuji before the third designated area, we continued our day and gathering points.

When the ninth day ended, we were now close to the top ten with a total of 120 points.

As we were progressively approaching the top ten...the top groups, like Sakayangi's group, continued to gather many points. Their group merged with Hashimoto's group, and they were now a group of 6 members... theoretically, they were naturally scoring more points than Ryuji and I. Being more people in a group immediately gives you more points only by reaching designated areas. 

I mentioned Sakayangi's group, but they weren't the only group to covet third place. Kiriyama's group was also a candidate for that spot. He was also maybe targeting the second place, but with Koenji around, it will be complicated to overcome him aside from making him retire.

Yato: ...

While I was thinking about all this, I was drinking some water and had a sort of breakfast to start the day. Ryuiji, already done with his breakfast, was looking at his tablet in silence. Even if I couldn't see what he was looking at, it wasn't too hard to guess...he also realized our current situation.

Kanzaki: We should be able to get into the top ten today, but we're still behind the upper groups like Sakayanagi. Their group already has 167 points, and they will continue to get more...

Yato: That's right...in theory, it won't be a problem at all to get into the top ten...

As he said, it wouldn't be a problem to get into the top ten as the last place was Kuronaga's group, which had a total of 123 points. Today, when the first area will be designated, and tasks will start to appear, we can get into the top ten quickly.

After Kuronaga's group, there's Fuka, with a total of 135 points, who managed to get the 9th place after we parted away yesterday. If she's motivated, she's also a group who will continue to get some places in the ranking, but she's not someone I consider an opponent.

Yato: Like you said, it wouldn't be a problem to get into the top then, but we won't get into it today...

Ryuji: Huh?

He just started looking at me, puzzled, almost wondering if he misunderstood what I said.

Ryuji: Wait, wait, wait, I must still be half asleep, but...did you say we won't get into the top ten today?

Yato: That's right...you did understand what I said.

Ryuji: ...

He just felt silent while still processing the information I gave him, totally unable to understand the reason why I said that...

Ryuji: Wait what?

I then took out my tablet to take a look at the current top ten...

Top Ten Rankings

1st Place: Second-Year Group Koenji - 204 Points

2nd Place: Third-Year Group Nagumo - 203 Points

3dn Place: Third-Year Group Kiriyama -183 Points

4th Place: Second-Year Group Sakayanagi - 167 Points