Volume 4: Run

Chapter 4

Touma Pov:

After yesterday's confrontation with the acting director Tsukishiro and Shiba-sensei, I went back to the starting area to have my watch changed and immediately left for my designated area before the school put the special exam on hold.

In the end, I couldn't reach D6 in time and had to stop in D5 to set my tent as the rain grew stronger...

After having informed Yato about Kanzaki-senpai and Kuishida-senpai group's positions, I started analyzing the information I obtained...

Before the exam officially started, Yato requested my help...in fact, it was the night I decided to say what was bothering me since our parent's death.

I can't ask my brother to change...I was the one who needed to realize our situation and the world we are living in. If I wanted to be able to stand on his side, I am the one who need to change. Not to become someone like him...but the best version of myself, Fukazawa Touma son of Fukazawa Yukichi and Okamoto Hina.

Spending my whole childhood with Yato and observing him helped me to realize that my mindset about being a "good" person limited me to become someone like dad was...someone who wouldn't turn his back to his family despite having different opinions, mindsets and ways of proceeding...

That's why now that I have finally reunited with my brother since Mom and Dad's death...I decided to side with him and work on his side.

Of course, depending on the situation and the choice he will make, I won't be able to go through it with him...but I might be able to prevent him from being the "bad" guy once again as he always did his whole life.

My brother is extremely cunning...the best way to describe his ability to think would be, "he sees the path that no one else can".

As much it makes him a terrifying adversary and unpredictable opponent...

It can also slowly kill his "humanity."...All the bounds he can make, people's opinions of him can break at any moment with Yato's strategies...

Why?

As I said, the strategies that can make him unpredictable for his opponent can also result in him being pointed out as the "villain" of the story by the people around him.

He's definitely ready to do anything to obtain what he wants and what he considers to be the "good" outcome.

Just like what he did when Keisuke passed away and ran away from Gou and me...

He wanted to be pointed out as the "villain" for the good care of Gou and me...

That's why I want to help my brother and work with him...

To be able to prevent him from such a potential outcome before the end of his journey here...

During the few months while I was looking for the strength to be able to move on from my own grief and mistakes...

I witnessed and heard the development of Yato being in this school for a whole year. I saw many people having an interest and a bond with my brother, such as Kanzaki-senpai and Karuizawa-senpai. I saw many people, like Nagumo-senpai and Ryuuen-senpai, who had high regard for my brother. People who consider him like a rival, such as Sakayanagi-senpai.

And most important...

A person who's ready to break the invisible shell around my brother...

That's why I want to do my best to prevent such a future...