Volume 3: The Invisible Enemy

Chapter 5

Kiyo Pov:

Yesterday, after I left Nanase for a moment to gain some points during the time we were waiting for our last designated area, we encountered Ike and decided to spend the night with them again in H4.

Even Kei's group was passing by, and she managed to convince Ike and her group to stop here for the day and camp here with us. Because of that, I spent some time alone with her and did a quick check-up on her group situation. She was with two other people from Sakayanagi's class, and they are good for their studies. They might lack a bit of strength, but with their current scores, they shouldn't have to worry.

That's how Nanase and I spent the evening with Sudo's group and Kei's group in H4.

But just before 5:00 AM, around the time when the morning sun began to rise into the sky.

While most students would probably still be asleep, I woke up to a strange sound coming from outside my tent.

It was a sound so subtle, so indistinct that, for a moment, I thought I might just be hearing things.

I poked my head out of my tent to investigate further. And, although it was faint, I could definitely still hear it.

A few seconds later, Nanase peeked her head out of her tent as well, having apparently been woken up by the sound, just as I had.

Nanase: Can you hear something?

Kiyo: Yes... it's faint, but I can hear an electronic noise of some sort.

Perhaps due to its low proximity, the sound was so soft to the point that it almost blended in with the surroundings.

It was possible for it to be an alarm coming from a tablet, but this particular sound had been going on for far too long for that to be the case.

Nanase: Do you think it might be an Emergency Alert?

Kiyo: It's definitely possible.

I emerged from my tent before once again straining my ears to analyze the sound.

It sounded similar to what Mashima-sensei had played for us during his explanation back on the cruise ship.

But from what I could hear, there was a slight echo to it, perhaps because it was coming from so deep within the forest.

Nanase: It doesn't sound like it's going to stop any time soon, does it?

It had already been over a minute since I first noticed the sound. Warning Alerts were set up to go off twice, but both times they would be cut off after only five seconds. The only alert set to go off continuously like this was the Emergency Alert.

Nanase: If I'm not mistaken, after five minutes...

Kiyo: The school will locate you through the GPS in your watch and send help to your position.

If they were in a situation where they couldn't afford to turn off the alert, then they could be in quite a precarious position.

Nanase: Couldn't we go find them before the school arrives?

Kiyo: Why would we do that? Although it's not pitch black outside anymore, the visibility is still poor. And if we're careless, we might run into danger ourselves.

Nanase: Do you need a reason to go help someone?

Kiyo: ...

She pierced me with eyes that were far too sincere to be described as angry.