Volume 3: Imminent confrontation?

Chapter 7

Kiyo Pov:

Before 7:00 AM the following day, the fifth of the exam, we were pushing south along the river from area D4 to D5. After we stepped foot in G3 yesterday, we decided to forego our next designated area, H4, and travel due west on our way back to the starting area. As a result, we missed out on the next two designations, H6 and I7, meaning that we had now missed three areas in a row.

Unless a randomly designated area were to appear somewhere along our projected route by some miracle, that number would inevitably increase to four. Ultimately, the odds didn't play out in our favor, as when the clock finally struck at 7:00 AM, the first designated area of the day was revealed to be I8.

Nanase: Shinohara-senpai's situation doesn't seem very optimistic...

Shinohara had been left to fend for herself after Komiya and Kinoshita retired yesterday. Even though Ike and Sudo were doing what they could to support her, the number of points she could score on her own was, in the end, limited.

As of yesterday, her group hadn't been included in the bottom ten, but when we checked the rankings this morning, she had already dropped down to the bottom eight.

The positive point in all this is whether she wins points or not; she won't fall into the last position because Yato is still dead last with a total of 0 points.

Meanwhile, the current rankings for the top groups changed a bit from yesterday. Nagumo's group was in first place, whereas Fukazawa Touma was in second place, followed by Kiriyama's group from the 3-B.

Despite what happened yesterday and the time we lost in the morning because of the incident...Fukazawa Touma seems to have preserved his place in the top three.

Nanase: Ah, Senpai. There's someone fishing up ahead.

As we were walking, a lone student came into view ahead of us. He was sitting on a rocky sidebar, leisurely passing the time with a fishing rod in hand. Due to his distinctive outward appearance, I recognized him immediately. He was a member of the one group I wanted to meet more than anyone else right now. I didn't expect the chance to meet up with them to come so soon. I had even considered making use of the GPS searching feature once it was made available tomorrow to attempt to meet with their group.

I wanted to capitalize on this stroke of good luck no matter what.

Kiyo:  Mind if we make a detour, Nanase?

Although several solid Tasks had popped up in the nearby area, we'd probably have to give up on them.

Nanase: I'm just your traveling companion, Ayanakoji-senpai. Please don't feel the need to ask for my opinion.

I took her thoughtful words at face value and decided to approach the student.

He hadn't seemed to have noticed us yet, but I chose not to call him out, not to interrupt his fishing.

Instead, we approached quietly, walking along the sandy gravel of the riverside.

Before long, we drew in close enough for him to notice our presence as he slowly turned to face us.

Katsuragi: You started off on your own, but it doesn't seem like you've dropped to the bottom ten yet.

The distinctive outward appearance was from Katsuragi Kohei of Class 2-B.

Kiyo: Somehow. But if I took it easy for a day, my rank would probably plummet.

Having overheard the commotion, Ryuuen emerged from inside his tent and gave me a somewhat surprised look.