Chapter One: Borgin and Burkes

Borgin and Burkes

Hermione Granger wasn't a stranger to prejudice. The preconceived opinion that she was less intelligent and less powerful than someone who was born into a full wizarding family was one she dealt with far too often. As she stared down the the shopkeeper, she was reminded again at how much Mr. Borgin had a foul part in the war and how much he detested Mudbloods.

One of the Co-Owners of Borgin and Burkes, Mr. Borgin owned the shop almost exclusively since his partner was sent off the Azkaban after the Second Wizarding War. He stared right on back with his greasy hair pushed back and a scowl plastered on his face.

"You'd do well not to lie to me, Mr. Borgin. After all, it's only because Caractacus Burke took the fall for you that you're also not rotting in Azkaban with him." Hermione sneered, crossing her arms. "I know that a particular cursed object was dropped off to you late last night."

Mr. Borgin raised an eyebrow, "If you know it, then why haven't the Aurors stopped by? Wouldn't the Harry Potter be making an appearance or is he too busy signing autographs for his fan clubs?"

Blast it. She recovered quickly, "I've been sent here on an errand."

"By who?"

"Harry, himself." She would remember to apologize to Harry later for dropping his name, "He's quite busy what with Auror business and upholding Wizarding Society." She grappled with what to say next, never one to be a great liar. "He's also aware that you came into contact with the Opal Necklace again and demands for it to be put back into the Ministry's hands."

Mr. Borgin squinted, "Opal Necklace? Salazar Slytherin, are you referring to the necklace I bought for my dear old mum last night? I'll put it on and show you that I'm not holding onto that cursed object any longer. In fact, the last person I sold it to was years ago to a young Draco Malfoy. Wait here and don't touch anything."

Resisting the urge to smirk victoriously, Hermione watched Mr. Borgin's retreating figure into the back of the shop as a bell rang throughout the small shop.

"I'll be right with you!"

The impatient call came from the shopkeeper who was now searching for his mum's birthday gift. Hermione was entirely aware of the necklace being harmless, but she needed the time to search behind the counter for what she was truly curious about.

Placing both hands firmly on the counter, Hermione lifted herself up and slid her legs over the counter. Once she landed down on the opposite side of the counter, she froze remembering that the bell had rung prior, and that she wasn't alone in the shop.

"Well, well, well." A deep, husky voice drawled. "Lost, Granger?"

Oh, rubbish. Hermione steeled herself as she looked up to meet a pair of cold, ice grey eyes. She hadn't seen him in person since the day he turned his back on everyone. He chose to walk away with Narcissa Malfoy and the cowering face of his father after the Battle of Hogwarts.

It seemed his disposition towards her was still the same. Mocking and amused. Physically, he'd changed a lot. When they were teenagers, he'd had the slender, elegant body of a seeker. Not that she paid much attention then, she mentally chastised herself. Now, he'd filled out more. He wore a midnight blue tailored suit that emphasized his broader shoulders and as he crossed his arms, the material was tight against his biceps. He had always been tall—even more so than Harry—but now it was like he towered over her. She was lucky to reach his collar bone now. His face was regal with lips that were biting back a smug smirk.