Chapter Fifty: Time is Infinitely Running Out

Hermione pointed to the cloak, "What is that?"

Draco squinted, but decided to entertain her seemingly foolish question, "The Cloak of Invisibility."

"What does it do?"

"Makes the wizard invisible." His eyebrows drew together, "Hence the name. What are you getting at, Granger?"

She bit the inside of her cheek to stop from smiling. It would only annoy him further and he hated when she made him put in effort for an answer she already knew. It was something that always annoyed him even when they were in school together and she loved annoying him.

"What else? What did the Peverell brother specifically request of Death?"

"To hide from him." Draco answered flatly, "Would you like me to explain to you why Goldilocks was so picky and had to try three different treacle tarts before she found the one just sweet enough?"

Now it was her turn to roll her eyes as she stood up and walked until she was standing in front of him. Her legs were almost close enough to touch his knees and she saw his hands twitch; knowing full well he wanted to pull her onto his lap.

"Who else is as infinite as Death?"

Draco pursed his lips slightly, taking a moment to answer her. His eyes were swimming with questions, but when his eyes flickered to the books and back to her... Realization pooled in. "Time."

He pulled her forward now and she laughed as her legs straddled his lap. Hermione placed her hands on his arms, enjoying the feeling of his firm muscles beneath her hands.

"You understand now?" She raised an eyebrow.

Draco nodded, a sly grin on his lips. "If the Cloak can hide from Death, it can hide from Time. Any magic that threatens us on the way back... We'll be protected by the cloak."

"Precisely. All we need to worry about now is receiving that potion from Ominis and looking for a spell to send us back to the future." Hermione said with finality.

Hope began to blossom in her heart, taking the place of grief. If they were able to find a spell and time it just right... She could save Harry from dying too.

Time is Infinitely Running Out

One day turned into two and then three. In that time, Hermione had almost stabbed Abraxas Malfoy with the quote on quote 'wrong' fork, numerous times. Not all of them by accident. They were no closer to finding a way back to the future than they previously were able to before. It wasn't until Abraxas came back from a trip to the Ministry that they were any closer to leaving.

"I've brought you a gift. Not you, you almost maimed me." His eyes shot over to Hermione momentarily before settling on Draco, "This ought to do it. Barbara will be back surely in two days. I need you two both gone before that."

"Even if we aren't able to find a way to leave in the next 48 hours, we could transfigure me to look different temporarily." Draco muttered, taking the small box from his grandfather.

The other wizard shook his head briefly, "It's not because of that-though that would be an issue if she met her grandson before she even gave me a child." His eyes slid back over to Hermione, "If she knew I'd housed a Mudblood in the family Manor, she'd spend the next however many years thinking I could change."