Chapter Nine: Amoebas Can't Speak

"No one told you to keep me alive."

She scoffed, "No, your best friend only begged me and looked utterly remorseful because he was convinced he was responsible for this." Draco rolled his eyes, trying to sit up, but Hermione stopped him. "Half the bones in your body were regrown or reset. You can't move for at least another thirty minutes."

"Then give me a blanket," Draco complained, pointing to his body, "It's bloody freezing in here, I think my bollocks are inside my stomach now."

"Don't blame the weather just because you're lacking in the package department, Malfoy."

The words slipped out of Hermione's mouth before she realized what she was commenting on. She could definitely blame it on the lack of sleep, coffee, and patience. However, the look on Draco's face sent a shiver through her.

He looked positively determined.

Amoebas Can't Speak

He didn't have an opportunity to retort because Hermione mumbled something about needing coffee and something to eat. Draco had said he'd join her in the kitchen when he was no longer confined to the Hell that was Potter's floor.

She was thankful for Ginny. The woman took after Molly Weasley and always had the fridge stocked with fresh meats, vegetables, and fruits. Honestly all she needed was a couple eggs to fry up on the stove and a bit of bread to toast. Harry and Ginny were tea drinkers, but they specifically had purchased a coffee pot for times when Hermione was over. A notion she very much appreciated.

Hearing footsteps behind her, she looked to see that Draco was wearing a pair of green and black flannel pajama pants and an old Slytherin Quidditch long sleeve. She was confused where he'd found the clothes until Theo appeared behind him.

"What smells like breakfast?" Theo inquired, no longer looking like Carrie from the 1976 film. The reference would probably be lost on both of them if she tried to make a joke.

She jerked her head towards the fridge. "Grab some more eggs and I can fry you up some. Draco, do you think you could eat?"

He shook his head, sitting down at the circular wooden breakfast table. "I feel like the Hogwarts Express ran me over. Theo, tea?"

"The kettle's already lit. Do you use cream or sugar?" Hermione inquired curiously.

Theo snorted, smirking. "I think he'd sooner chop his tongue off than drink tea with sugar. The bastard hates sweets."

"He hates sweets?" Hermione frowned, thinking back to the macarons. "I guess that explains his charming personality." Arrogant git.

The other wizard let out a loud and boisterous laugh while Draco leered at her. He was clearly in a foul mood from almost dying and didn't have any more energy to snark back. She made three plates of food regardless if Draco had previously refused to eat. If he was going to waste the food, she'd package it up to take with her later.

Eating river caught fish and trapping small animals while on the run with Harry had taught her to always be grateful even for the simplest meal. She'd taken her time to learn the different plants and berries they could eat after a bad case of her and Harry having diarrhea for two days. If her and Harry hadn't been close before, they sure were after that ordeal.