Chapter Forty Eight: The Heir of Slytherin's Request

There are lives at stake." Ominis said with finality, "I have to help if I can."

Draco's jaw clenched, anger spiking. He straightened his back and flickered his eyes towards Sebastian, "You love your godson, don't you?"

"I do."

"He's the Head Auror."

"That he is."

His tone turned sinister. A voice she hadn't heard since their sixth year in Hogwarts when he told her to leave him alone. "It would be a shame if anything were to happen to him."

"It would." Sebastian's eyes darkened, "Are you threatening me, Malfoy? Perhaps you are just like your Grandfather."

"I'm a Malfoy." Draco stated with absolute clarity, "And I protect what's mine. If you interfere and change the future by stopping the attacks, then I will kill your nephew."

Hermione swallowed, watching the demeanors change between the two men. Once casual, the tension in the air was palpable. She bit the inside of her cheek, worriedly. What did Draco just do? And why wasn't she more upset about it?

The Heir of Slytherin's Request

Sebastian glanced towards Ominis. "They are from the future. We could kill them and no one would miss them."

"We don't kill people, Sebastian." Ominis pointed out, scowling. "Don't stoop down because of their meager threats."

"Meager?!" The elderly professor echoed incredulously, "He's threatened my nephew! My godson!"

"Did he? I had no idea."

"Your sarcasm isn't appreciated."

"None of this appreciated." Sebastian pointed at Draco accusingly, "How dare you threaten my godson? He's the Head Auror! He would never go down without a fight."

Draco looked at him blithely, "Is he? I had no idea."

Ominis coughed to hide his laugh, but it didn't go unnoticed by the other wizard. Hermione sighed loudly and glanced over at the blind wizard. "Are you a legilimens?" When he nodded, she continued, "Then peak through my memories-"

"Granger." Draco snapped, but with one heated glare, he shut up immediately.

"Not a word from you. There was no reason to threaten his godson's life from his dead sister for Merlin's sake. That was bloody ridiculous on your part." She shifted her attention back to Ominis, "I would appreciate it if you would take a look to see that we're not lying. I don't know how stopping him would affect the future."

Sebastian looked astounded, "Ominis, you can't be thinking of agreeing to this ridiculous request."

"I was hesitant..." He admitted, but shrugged nonchalantly, "Now that I know it'll get on your nerves if I do, I'm perfectly content with having a look."

Hermione sat straight as Ominis stood in front of her and pointed his wand in her direction. Draco was rigid in his seat as he watched the exchange. As Ominis casted the spell, the Gryffindor witch closed her eyes, and felt someone enter her mind. He browsed through memories as if flipping pages through a scrapbook of her life.

The first time she ran into Draco.

The Troll in the bathroom.