Chapter Seventeen: An Awkward Surprise Party

Cadskey nodded and gestured to the corner of the room where a small bowl had appeared with fresh fish that Crookshanks was currently inhaling, "Master, Cadskey brought over the finest sashimi you req-"

"Thanks." Draco interrupted flatly, reaching for the cup of tea that appeared next to him. "Granger, tea?"

She shook her head, "I'm more of a coffee person, no thank you." Cadskey snapped his fingers and a small cup of espresso appeared beside her with little silver tins of cream and sugar available. "Ah! My hero, thank you Cadskey."

The older House elf smiled brightly before disappearing. Draco leered at her. "Go on, say it. I know you want to."

Hermione smirked, biting into the strawberry and sliding her tongue against her bottom lip. She didn't miss Draco, following that action with his eyes.

"Spoiled prat."

An Awkward Surprise Party

A thought struck her while she was finishing breakfast with Draco.

"Did I hear you ask Cadskey if Droopy had been taking money from his wages? Are you paying your House Elves?" Hermione inquired, eyes bright with excitement.

The wizard was leaned back against his headboard, enjoying his cup of tea blearily. It appeared he needed a little bit of time to wake up in the mornings or he simply wasn't used to so much sleep. The shadows under his eyes were lighter and the corner of his lip was turned up slightly in comparison to the deep frown that normally marred his resting face.

"You heard things." Draco answered with a yawn, wiping his eye.

Hermione needed to see a healer. Everything he was doing, she found with varying levels of 'cute'. If only her parents were eye doctors and not dentists. Speaking of dentists... She needed to brush her teeth. Mortified, she grabbed another strawberry and slid off the bed.

"Ah, it's morning so I need to go home and get ready." She walked over to Crookshanks who was biting into another chunk of his gourmet breakfast. He hissed at her which was surprising when she picked him up away from his breakfast, "Hush. I'll open a can for you at home."

He looked grumpy and almost... insulted as if the thought of canned tuna could compare with freshly cut sashimi.

Draco looked up at her from the bed, putting his tea down. "Granger, wait-"

"Can't! I have an appointment this morning."

"On a Saturday?" He got off the bed now in a rush, spilling his tea and swearing all kinds of colorful words, "Granger, wait-"

"Goodbye, Malfoy!"

She used the floo, walking through her apartment with a sigh of relief. Thank Merlin. She wouldn't have to deal with any morning-after embarrassment. At least, that's what she thought before walking into a literal crime scene.

Her boss. Kingsley Shacklebolt.

Her best friend. Harry Potter.

Two unnamed Aurors.

"Blimey, 'Mione!" Harry gathered her in a hug before quickly letting go, "I thought you were kidnapped. We received the report an hour ago that three wizards were dead outside of your apartment. I thought something happened to you."