Chapter Forty Nine: The Case Study of Eloise

Hermione snorted inwardly, "You would dare fornicate with a Muggle born witch in your esteemed Manor?"

"We already have. Many times." He smirked as he led her out of the room, "And we will continue to fornicate many more times. A lifetimes worth, actually."

She raised an eyebrow at him, walking down the steps. "Again, is that supposed to be a proposal? You're quite terrible at these. I don't see a ring."

"Didn't have time to shop what with getting sent half a century into the past." Draco mused darkly before reaching for the door to exit the establishment. He was beaten to it as the door was thrown open and someone almost bumped into him. "Pardon."

"Abraxas Malfoy." A velvety voice greeted, "I've been meaning to meet with you."

Hermione blinked curiously, moving to see who was talking, but Draco's hand reached behind him to grab the front of her dress, and kept her still. His fingers grasped the fabric tightly, keeping her immobile and unable to see who was talking.

Draco's voice was devoid of any emotion. Hermione knew right now that if she looked into his eyes, they would be a deep silver color. She hadn't heard this voice this hollow since their sixth year of Hogwarts.

"I'm sorry, have we met before?"

The smooth voice chuckled quietly, "Only in unanswered house calls. Allow me to formally introduce myself. I'm Tom Riddle. Tom Marvolo Riddle."

The Case Study of Eloise

"I see." Draco said shortly, keeping his demeanor exceedingly calm, "If you'll excuse me, I need to get home."

Hermione debated her options. She wouldn't be able to Apparate to Malfoy Manor, but perhaps it would be best to not risk exposure. If Tom was able to see her now, then he'd recognize her in the future, and Merlin knows what sort of events may change.

"Have you eaten? I would like to treat you and your wife to a meal. That is Mrs. Malfoy behind you, no?" Tom cleared his throat, "I've heard that your wife Beatrice is quite lovely and particularly skilled at healing magic. I was wondering if she knew about the possibility of splitting-"

Biting her lip, Hermione squeezed his hand lightly and removed it from his grip. She saw his shoulders go rigid and he grabbed her hand again with haste.

"-She isn't feeling well which explains why I'm in a rush. I don't mean to be rude, but please send a letter to the Manor and I'll send an Owl to you with a date and time to meet." Draco spoke purposefully with a firm tone, allowing for no more conversing, "Have a pleasant evening, Mr. Riddle."

There was a pause and then the charming voice bounced back, "I understand completely. Have a speedy recovery, Mrs. Malfoy."

Draco didn't hesitate then to Apparate themselves inside the Manor. With the wards no longer up to keep Muggle-Borns out, Hermione was able to stand inside without being thrown through the large wooden doors. The wizard in front of her turned around and she couldn't see even the barest hint of blue in his eyes. He was fully occluding and looked close to having a proper fit.

"Draco?" Her voice softened and she brought her hand up to his cheek. He was freezing cold although they'd placed a warming charm on themselves earlier and his suit had layers. "Draco, it's alright. He's gone."