Chapter Forty Five: The Past Colliding

Hermione blinked, "Wow. You sounded like a decent person just then. Do you feel sick?"

"Possibly. I don't know what's worse: Sitting in the same vicinity as a mudblood or spattergoit?" He mused darkly.

Draco ignored his comment, "I wish I knew that side to Grandmother. Hermione and I were involved in a War. I'm ashamed to say I was on the wrong side of it, but I think we both still struggle with our memories, and the feelings the War forced upon us. We were 17."

"Children." Abraxus looked surprised, "Did you not go to Hogwarts?"

"The War was at Hogwarts." Draco answered honestly, "We didn't have a proper 6th or 7th year. No year was without incident honestly."

"Hogwarts," The man shook his head, a scowl forming on his lips. "While I'm not upset about her death, a student died less than six months ago there. A Mudblood."

Draco blinked, "A student?"

Abraxus nodded, "I believe her name was Elizabeth...? No... Warren? No..."

It clicked.

"Myrtle." Her eyes met Draco, "It's 1943. He's opened the Chamber of Secrets."

The Past Colliding

Abraxus raised an eyebrow, "That silly old legend? About Salazar Slytherin's beast?"

Hermione was about to argue when Draco sent her a brief, pointed look. He answered for both of them, "It is a silly legend. Did they say what caused her death?"

"A Spider one of the students was hoarding." He replied absently as Cadskey reappeared with the items she requested, "I believe he got expelled from the school. Good riddance, I'd say."

Hagrid.

Ignoring his ignorance and prejudice, Hermione smiled at the House Elf, "Thank you."

Placing the roasted beans into the Gaggia machine, she waved her wand to start boiling the water and fasten the process. Draco handed her a tea cup, thoroughly amused how far she was willing to go for a proper caffeinated drink this morning. After a few moments, she pulled the lever and the aromatic scent of freshly brewed espresso wafted through the air.

Abraxus sniffed, leaning forward slightly in his seat. His eyes were trained on the cup of espresso, "What is that? A muggle drink?"

Hermione shrugged, "Do drinks have to be denominated by what sentient being discovered it? A muggle created those war rations you've been eating."

"That's why they're rubbish."

"And yet you'd starve without them." Hermione levitated the cup over to Abraxus with a small frown, "In light of introducing you to one of the best drinks ever created, I want full access to the Malfoy library so that we may get back as soon as possible."

"You're bribing me? Why not ask me?" Abraxus challenged.

"Because while you'd allow Draco into the library, out of spite you'd prohibit me entry." She paused, "With the wards you have on the front entrance of the Manor, I'm inclined to think you have some nasty hexes for curious Muggle Borns on your books."

He shrugged nonchalantly, eyeing the cup of espresso in front of him before meeting her gaze again, "Nothing lethal. You might turn into a cockroach for a few decades."