⁵ˣ¹⁸. ˢᵗᵃⁿᵈ ᵇʸ ᵐᵉ

season five, episode eighteen

Ryan walked in behind his resident, "This is one of the biggest surgeries that you might ever get near so pay attention, the patient is a thirty-eight-year-old male who was hit by a drunk driver twelve years ago,"

Cristina explained to the interns he had, "He suffered severe facial trauma." He explained as Ryan wrote that down in his little notebook, "This surgery has only been done four times worldwide, and all of the candidates have to undergo extensive psychological testing to determine whether or not they can handle the process." He explained walking with his interns.

Ryan kept up the pace, "Psychological components aside, this surgery has a huge chance of rejection or injection." Cristina Yang explained as Ryan walked alongside his half sister, "Patient will have to be on life long anti-rejection drugs which put him at risk for lymphoma, diabetes, hypertension, renal failure."

"Let's go." Cristina said where Ryan sees his older sister already in the room where Ryan and Lexie went behind their resident, looking at their patient, "Ladies and Gentlemen, this is David Young."

Mark Sloan presented his patient, "Today he'll be receiving a face transplant. Dr Hunt and his team will be recovering the donor facial graft. We're replacing seventy percent of Mr Young's face. You can see the deficit here." Mark said clicking a button on his computer showing David's face on the screen.

"Or here."

David said motioning to his face, "The donor recovery will include his nose, left eye, lips and left zygoma." Owen Hunt explained as David looked around the surgeons, "Why will allotransplantation work better than traditional techniques?"

Some interns raised their hands, "Better aesthetic outcome, which allows for re-enervation of the facial nerves, giving a better functional results," Lexie explained whilst looking at Owen Hunt, who smiled, "Very good, Dr Grey."

"Then we'll position the flap over Mr Young's face. How do we know we're clear?" Interns raised their hands when Mark looked at his best friend who didn't raise his hand, "Ryan Grey?"

"The graft will turn pink." Mark Sloan nods his head, some of the interns looked at the two Grey siblings, "Dave, any questions for us?" David looked at them, "Has anyone seen the donor?"

Mark nods his head, "Yes, he'd a match with your age, skin tone and blood type," The plastic attending admitted, "What does he look like?"

"I think you'll be satisfied." Mark added with a charming smile, "It's a face right, I mean who am I kidding? If I end up anything above a point and stare freak, I'm gonna call it a success." The surgeons all smiled at that.

The surgeons all went out of the room, "Stevens, Grey." Ryan stood with his arms crossed over his chest, "Yes." Meredith said to what Mark shook his head at, "Little Grey."

"Really? Great."

Ryan sees some of the interns all roll their eyes, "You did an awesome job in there." Mark complimented his girlfriend as Ryan makes a face, "Why don't you call me after the pre-ops labs come in?"

George O'Malley looked at the Plastics attending, "Dr Sloan, only one resident?" Mark turned to the other residents, "Wait for Bailey. There's already going to be enough of a crowd." Mark admitted as some of the interns spoke, "Awesome job." One of them mocked, "She probably quizzed him in bed last night."

"Shut your mouths!"

Ryan said sticking up for his half sister, "If you actually answered in there instead of looking like idiots, maybe—just maybe you would gotten to be in on the surgery!" He said to his fellow interns who looked at him before walking away.

____

"Dr Yang—?"

Ryan furrowed his eyebrows when he went towards the window to the resident's lounge seeing Izzie and Cristina in there talking, well more Cristina talking down to Izzie.

The Grey male opened the door, "—If I want treatment, Cristina." Izzie turned seeing Ryan standing there, "Great, now Ryan knows." The Grey male shut the door behind him, "Um, Dr Stevens, I know. I knew since Patient X, remember I was there when you had Sadie check that sample of blood you did." He commented.

"I'm not a dumb intern, okay. I actually know things. Things like you having Stage 4 metastatic melanom, there's surgery for this." He admitted looking at the blonde headed resident, "I know too much." Izzie admitted, "I know how violent surgery can be. They're gonna cut into my brain, they're gonna slice open my abdomen and pull my organs out. And for what?"

The blonde headed resident looked at her friend and intern, "Surgery fails all the time," Ryan shook his head, "Derek Shepherd is in the freaking woods right now because we fail all the time!" The resident shouted, "And even if we do everything right, I have a five percent chance of survival. Five percent."

Ryan looked down, "Why would I put myself through hell, run poison through my veins, irradiate my brain if it's not gonna work anyway?" Ryan frowned at that.

Cristina then started to smile, "Why did you tell me then?" Izzie looked at Cristina before looking down, "If you don't want my help and you're not gonna do anything about it, why did you tell me?"

Izzie shook her head, "Keep your mouth shut. Forget I ever told both of you anything." Ryan sighed, "Izzie." He watched as the blonde then slammed the resident's lounge door shut.

____

"Dr Stevens."

The blonde headed resident looked up from where she sat outside seeing Ryan Grey standing over her, "Sometimes we fail, but that's not always the case." He explained to what Izzie nods her head, "I know." She added, "Blowhole has a new face, you know. And what people call him to get through the day has—nothing to do with u—"

"Ryan, I know." Izzie repeated looking at the intern, "Cristina told Alex and Bailey, who are telling Meredith and George." He claimed, "Izzie, you have people in your corner through it all, okay. No one is going to leave your side." His eyes searched her face, "I know that you're not my resident, but you have taught me a lot, Izzie. And I need you—I need you to get better so you can teach me more," He explained as the blonde resident smiled.

Izzie looked at Ryan's eyes seeing the Grey male eyes start to tear up, "I want you to fight and I know a whole lot of people who want you to fight as well." He added as Izzie looked down, "I will get Meredith to bring Derek back, he's one of the twenty people in the world who can help you,"

Izzie let out a breath, "Thank you." The blonde's eyes start to tear up as Ryan leaned forwards embracing the blonde headed resident in his arms, "I'm always going to be in your corner, Izzie." He said to her as he rubbed her back.