⁶ˣ¹⁶. ᵖᵉʳᶠᵉᶜᵗ ˡⁱᵗᵗˡᵉ ᵃᶜᶜⁱᵈᵉⁿᵗ

season six, episode sixteen

"I misdiagnosed Harper Avery

"I misdiagnosed Harper Avery. In front of Harper Avery. You know what that does to my chances of one day winning a Harper Avery?" The Cardio resident claimed as Ryan walked on the other side of Cristina, "Well, he could die before then. He could die today even."

Cristina scoffed, "I just need to operate on my motorcycle daredevil guy and I'll be fine." Lexie then joined them, "Is it true Harper Avery's here?"

Meredith looked to her person, "So Derek walked in on her naked this morning in Alex's bed." Meredith laughed along with Cristina, "Meredith! God!" Ryan makes a disgusted face at Lexie groan, "Karev? Really?"

The Grey male shook his head, "I'm getting paged. Thank you." He muttered the last bit when walking away from his two sisters and Meredith's person.

____

"Jill. Sorry." Ryan looked at female next to Mr Meyers, after Lexie presented to the cardio attending, "My sister usually waits a few more minutes before going full bitch on you guys." Teddy half smiled, "All right. Let me tell you what I know. It is going to be very difficult to find you a new set of lungs. Donor lungs are scarce. Eighty-five percent get thrown out because they get too inflamed while the donor is brain-dead." Teddy inhaled deeply, "And because your cancer could came back with the immunosuppressants you'd be on, you are considered a very high-risk candidate. They are just too many other patients on the list that are lower risk."

The Grey male furrowed his eyebrows, "Elliot survived leukaemia and lymphoma." Jill stated, her voice breaking, "Nobody does that, but he did. He deserves lungs." Jill states, "Unfortunately, these are the rules the transplant board sets out." Dr Altman said, "I—" Teddy sighed, "—I'm sorry."

Ryan went out of the hospital room after Dr Robbins spoke some more with Jill and Elliot, his fingers tapping against the nurse's desk waiting for Arizona, "So—What are we going to do?"

"We're not going to do anything for the moment. You heard Dr Altman, Elliot could reject the lungs because of his immunosuppressants." Ryan frowned at his mentor's words.

____

"Sorry." Ryan said when coming into Elliot Meyer's hospital room, "Wait, I'm sorry. Are you saying you recommend it though?" Elliot then asked, "No, they're saying they want to give us a pair of hand-me-down lungs. The one's no one else wants." Jill then told her brother.

"These are good lungs." Cristina recommended, "This procedure has allowed us to repair them so they're virtually the same—" Cristina got cut off by Jill, "No. We'll wait." Jill argued, shaking her head, "We'll wait until you get the lungs that Elliot deserves."

Elliot looked back at his sister, "You're so used to fighting, you don't even realise. This is it." Elliot chuckled, "I'm sick and I'm tired and I'm ready." Elliot admitted to his sister.

Ryan watched the scene in front of him, remembering that when he was younger, Meredith would always fight for him, and against their mother whenever she couldn't recognise her own children, "No matter what happens, my affairs are in order."

"Your affairs are not in order. Don't you dare say that." Jill told her brother, "Dr Robbins, please." Elliot said looking towards the pediatric surgeon and resident as Ryan looked at the siblings, "Is this my best shot?"

"I'm not your surgeon here, Elliot." Dr Robbins said, stepping forwards with her arms crossed over her chest, "I have to defer to Dr Altman." Elliot looked away from the two surgeons to the Cardio surgeon, "It's your only shot." Elliot nods his head before looking at his sister and holding his hand out.

"Then, yes. Do it."

Ryan inhaled after Elliot let out those words, hating feeling so helpless that he couldn't find a way to help Elliot better and reassure Jill that Elliot will become better, "Give me the hand-me-downs."

____

Ryan stood in his best friend's office alongside Mark and Owen as they all had the tiny basketballs in their hands, "You won't make that." Owen said to Derek, "I'll make it. I told off one of my heroes today, I can do anything." And when he missed, Ryan chuckled.

"You know, Teddy did an ex vivo lung repair today? It was pretty incredible." Owen said, throwing the tiny basketball that hit the edge of the rim of the basketball hoop making Derek, Ryan and Mark laugh.

"I slept with my patient's daughter, just now." Derek makes a face at his best friend, "After restoring her mother's hearing. Don't worry, Derek. I promise to never do it again." Mark promised his best friend when Ryan then said, "I slept with my patient's sister. Well, she was more Teddy's patient sister." Ryan clarified to them, throwing the basketball that just so happened to go inside the hoop.

"Yes!"
"What? How?"

A knock on the door gained their attention seeing their former Chief of Surgery, Richard Webber standing at Derek's office door, "They were just leaving." Derek said, "We were?" Ryan then asked back, as the three males all stood up and walked out of Derek's office.

"You slept with a patient's sister?"

Mark asked Ryan when the two walked in a different direction compared to Owen, "She needed some comfort, and I was there." Ryan stated making Mark smirk, patting his friends's back, "Good job, man." However, the feeling in Ryan's stomach didn't feel like he did a good job.