Chapter 34

"Should we go?" Harry whispered into the darkness. I lazily tore my eyes from the sky to look at him.

"If you want to." I whispered back.

"Well I don't want to, but are you tired? Or cold?"

"A little bit on both of those, but I'm fine other than that, how about you?"

"I'm a little tired, but other than that I'm fine."

"There's one more place we can go, but we can go tomorrow night if you want."

"That sounds good." I lifted my head off of his chest and climbed to my feet. I reached a hand down to help Harry up, and he gladly took it. After we brushed dry grass from our clothes, we started down the hill. I carefully placed my feet, finding difficulty to keep myself stable in the darkness. Once we had both reached the bottom, I unlocked the car and we climbed in. I started the car up and drove, back into civilization.

After a long car ride, due to me trying to keep my eyes open, I finally pulled up in front of my house. As soon as I cut the engine, I laid my head down on the steering wheel and shut my eyes, the fight to keep them open was over. I heard Harry unbuckle his seat belt and open his door, climbing out. I slowly lifted my head from the steering wheel and started to unbuckle myself. When I reached for the door handle, the door swung open and Harry scooped me into his arms.

"You don't have to carry me." I said, trying to resist laying my head against his chest.

"Shh." He replied, and I gave in, closing my eyes and letting sleep overtake me.

****

""Dallas Whake is dead." The man said. Lara didn't cry. She knew. She knew the moment that Dallas didn't show up to school, that he was gone. She stared at the man, and he stared back. She stared at the crease between his eyes brows, and the way his top lip curled upward just a little, something no one seemed to notice. She noticed, because that's exactly how Dallas' top lip was. She couldn't believe the man standing in front of her was Dallas' dad. The man that Dallas had said left him. He left Dallas to live with his grandparents, without an explanation.

"You know," Lara started, her voice shaking. "The stupidity of today's society is ravishing. You shouldn't say his name like its a disease, 'cause quite frankly, Dallas said your name like he praised you. You left him, and now he's left you, and me. Get over yourself."

Lara took the slip of paper out of his hands and pulled the door open. No tears slid down her face as she walked calmly to her car. She sat behind the wheel and stared at her name written in Dallas' sloppy handwriting. She slipped the note into her pocket before starting her car up and turning down the road, the opposite way from her house. She drove until she couldn't see past the tears, until she had to pull over because she couldn't catch her breath.

She buried her face in her hands and cried. Her shoulders shook from her sobs. She wiped her eyes with her sleeve and pulled the note out of her pocket.