Chapter 48

A L A N A

"Hahaha Niall no! That's not what meant!" I say into the phone, a smile making its ways to my lips. I turn and look over my shoulder before pressing the accelerator in my car, and switch lanes.

"That is so what you meant!" he says before chuckling to himself. I chuckle along with him, until I reach the turn off to Presley's apartment. I switch my blinker on and make a smooth right turn into the parking lot, all while Niall tells me about the best cheese sandwich that he's ever tasted. "Honestly, if I could marry a sandwich, that would be the one." he says and I let out a 'humph'. "But of course, you'd be at the top of the list." he says.

"I feel like you just called me some sort of sandwich." I say, pulling into a parking space.

"No no, that's not what I meant! I meant that that if you wanted to get married, I mean, wait no! I mean if-" he stutters.

"Niall, are trying to save yourself or propose?" I say, laughing.

"Gosh, you know what I mean!" he says, laughing along with me.

"Of course I know what you mean." I say, climbing out of my car and shutting the door. I shove my keys into my pocket with me free hand and start walking towards the entrance.

"Wait so are you going to see," Niall says before lowering his voice, "Presley?" he asks. I assume Harry is near him, or else he wouldn't have to whisper.

"Yeah, I am." I say, as I pass the front desk and step into the elevator. "But she hasn't answered my text of whether or not I could come over. I'm assuming she's asleep or something." I say as I push the correct floor number and the elevator starts to rise. "After Harry broke up with her, gosh, she was a wreck. She called me, and I could barely understand a word she was saying." I say.

"Yeah, Harry is still taking it hard. He locks himself in his room and cries almost everyday I'm still not sure why he--" he stops suddenly. "Oh, uh, hey Harry. Harold. Har-bear. Har-ster." I can faintly hear Harry mumble a 'Hey Niall'. The elevator door opens and I step out, walking down the hallway to her apartment. "You look great today Harry, your curls are really . . .Curly." Niall says and I can hear Harry faintly laughing.

I reach Presley's door and knock loudly. I can't hear any movement inside, making me wonder if she's not home. I check the doorknob, and find that it's open. I push the door and step in, almost dropping the phone in the process. "Whoa," I say, staring at the empty apartment. Everything is gone, except for the furniture.

"Is everything alright?" Niall asks, and I shake my head.

"She's gone." I say, bewildered. "Presley's gone."

"Presley's gone?" Niall says, not lowering his voice this time when he says it. The next thing I hear is Harry, saying "What?" loud enough for me to hear. Suddenly there's shuffling in the other side of the phone and Harry's voice is who talks to me, not Niall.

"What? Where is she?"

P R E S L E Y

"Lights will guide you home. . ." The familiar sound of Coldplay sings through the speakers of my car. I clench the steering wheel, unable to force the tears back. I pull onto my street, my breath hitching in my throat when I see my house, my parent's car in the driveway. I'm not sure I'm in the mood to talk to them. My dad will either say "I told you so." Or get out the shotgun and go looking for Harry, both of which I do not want to happen.

"And ignite your bones. . ." I pull into my driveway and hesitate to turn my car off. I stare at my house, the way nobody knows what's going on from in here. I could be fighting with my parents, crying on my bed, or reading a book to Stevie while she attempts to make dinner, and nobody driving by would notice.

"And I will try, and fix you." I finally turn the car off and slowly open my door. I probably should have called, to let somebody know that I'm coming home, and that I moved out of my apartment, but that was the last thing on my mind as I was packing. I leave my things in my car and grab my purse and my phone. I shut my door and stare up at my house before I start making small steps to the front door. I hesitate once I reach the door, not knowing if I should knock or not. I decide against it and put my hand on the knob, turning it. I push the door open and I hear voices coming from the kitchen.

"Actually, this cake would be more in your budget. You could get a more expensive dress if you go this cake. And we wouldn't even have to have caterers, we could make the food ourselves to save us money." My mother's voice ehoes as I silently shut the door.

"Are you sure? I could pay for a caterer." Stevie says to her.

"No, no. You're not going to pay for anything. I promised mom and dad before they dies that I would do this for you. I'm keeping my promise." My mother retaliates. There is a silence and I guess that they're hugging. At the mention of my grandparents death, my throat had gone dry. My mother almost never let us see her parents, because they lived across the country, and they were never reall on good terms with my mother. They didn't like my father, and the way he got my mother into writing and traveling, two things she had never grown up doing. My mother and Stevie have one brother, but we rarely see him because he's been studying penguins in Antarctica. He also was never on good terms with my grandparents, due to his har-core partying habits that he had through-out college, eventually ending in him getting married, and then later divorced.