Chapter 47

". . . and now I'm single. Which sucks because I miss him." I say. almost out of breath from telling Alexander about my tragic breakup. I sit up from laying halfway off the couch. "Maybe now I can live out my dream of being a cat lady. Even though I 'm allergic to cats so I wouldn't be able to hold them."

"Your dream of being a cat lady? Really?" Alexander asks, sitting up too, from hanging his head off my couch.

"Yeah! I've got to have a backup plan for when I won't get married!" I say, thowing my hands in the air. I feel like I could fall asleep at any moment. Somthing's definitely messing with my head.

"You're going to get married. " He says to me, rolling his eyes.

"Unless I don't! I'll show up to your wedding with all my cats, they'll all be on leashes with fuzzy sweaters on."

"It's a good thing you don't have to think about getting married for awhile." He says. "Besides, you're going to find someone better than Harry, who will make you-" He stops when he sees tears pouring down my face. "Hey don't cry. I didn't mean it like that."

"I'm sorry." I say, trying to frantically wipe the tears off my face. "I'm such an emotional wreck. Honestly, I feel like I've cried over Harry more than I've cried over anything." I say and he pulls me into a hug.

"It's okay to cry every once in awhile." He says.

"Actually, I don't think it's healthy to cry this much. Since we're made up of like 72% of water, I must be trying to turn myself inside out." I say, tears still streaming down my face as I speak to him.

He laughs at my statement. "I think you're a bit delusional." We don't say anything as he holds me, already making me feel better. "Presley, are you under a lot of stress from the movie?" He asks.

I wipe my nose with my sleeve and nod. "Yeah, why?"

He stays quiet for a moment. "Do you," he pauses as if searching for the correct words. "Do you even want to be in a movie? Do you want to live here, alone? Do you want any of this?" he asks and my eyes start watering again.

His questions made me wonder whether or not I know what I'm doing with my life. No, I don't want to be in a movie. No, I don't want to live here alone. No, I don't want any of this. He took my tears as an answer. "Presley, you are so unhappy here, I can tell. Nobody, especially not you, should be doing something they don't want to do. So why are you still doing it?" His words made me think more. I really am unhappy. I don't know if Harry made me like this, or if its from the constant pressure around me.

At this point, I was ready to cry whenever someone looked at me even in just the grocery store. I am so weak, from all of this. At this point, I should have told someone about how unhappy I am, and how lonely I am. Sure, I still have Alana, but she's been wrapped up in Niall lately. Seeing Alexander standing in my doorway when he got here brought me so much happiness. I had come to a point where I really needed someone, and now Alexander is here.

"I-I don't know what to do.What do I do?" I ask him, my voice cracking. I really am a mess.

"We both know what you're going to do." he says, grabbing my hand. He gently rubs circles on the back of it. "You're going to quit the movie, and the show. You're going to pack up and move bak to your home, maybe even attend college. Do whatever the heck you want to do, not what everyone else wants to do." At this point I'm holding back tears. "You need to stop worrying about what others want you to do and be, and focus more on what you want." He gives my hand a squeeze and I wipe more tears off my face.

"Thank you." I barely say, my voice hoarse. Alexander pulls me in for a hug and I let al my tears out. I'm shaking from my sobs. All my emotions that I had kept hidden, he saw all along. I still shake with the sobs, wondering how it is possible to be this unhappy.

"You're better than what they say, Presley. You really are." He whispers as he strokes my hair. I smile, even though tears are still coming.

****

Alexander is still holding my hand, though, only in a friendly way. being with him made me realize how he was put into my life, to be a great friend. To be there when I needed someone, even when I thought I was all alone. It sounds cheesy, but its true.

"So you like her huh?" I ask, flicking my eyebrows up, teasing him.

He rolls his eyes at me. "Since that's about the fifth time you've asked and I've shut you down, yes I do."

My face breaks into a smile and I playfully hit his chest, harder than I meant to. "I knew it!" I shout and he rolls his eyes at me. "Oh gosh I so have to meet her! What's her name?"

He glares at me for a moment before answering. "Katrina."

"Ooh like hurricane Katrina? Does she blow you away?" I say, laughing at my own joke. Alexander stays with his face blank, either annoyed or not getting my joke. "You know, 'cause hurricanes have fierce winds?" He stay blank faced. "Jeez at least pretend to laugh, you're killing my pride here." He finally cracks a smile and we both end up in a laughing fit.

"She's amazing Presley. Gosh, I'm so glad I found her." He says, and I raise my eyebrows, pushing for more out of him. He smiles as he continues. "She worked as part of the crew on The Hunger Games, you know, getting costumes ready and stuff. I thought things were going to be weird between her and I, because she always saw Laura and I together. But the other day, I ran into her, and we acted like we were old friends. Of course, she asked if Laura and I were still together and when I told her no, she said 'Well jeez buy me a drink and let's get this going.' She's perfect. Honestly." He's still smiling when he finishes, and I smile along with him.

Alexander deserves someone great like that. After Harry and I broke up the first time, him and I kind of played each other, still trying to get over our exes. Not that it matters, because he's found someone great.

After Harry and I got back together, not too long ago, Harry respected that Alexander and I were best friends. He didn't go all 'psycho jealous boyfriend' on me and try to kill Alexander, which I was glad for. After Harry and I were back together, and happy, Alexander admitted that he, was indeed not over Laura. And she, was totally over him. She had a boyfriend, which made Alexander depressed, to say the least.

He had texted me, saying, "I don't want you to think I was taking advantage of you. I really wasn't, like, at all. I was just afraid, because you were so fragile. I didn't want to hurt you like Harry did. And I knew that Harry would come around, there's no way he couldn't come back to you. I still liked you, I really did. But I am not over Laura, and I really should be. I just want you to know, that you're amazing, and I couldn't have asked for a better best friend. I love you. (not in that way haha :P)"

I was shocked when I received the text, mostly over how well his grammar was, and his statement. Whenever I talked to him after that whether through phone calls, text messages (in which he used a lot of :P faces) or SnapChats (mostly us making the most unattractive faces possible) I could tell that he was only slightly improving.

As he sits in front I me now, smiling about the girl we are discussing, I don't think I could ever be happier for him. I never once thought that he was taking advantage of me, though Alana had asked me if he was once or twice, but it didn't matter now. My once depressed beat friend is happy, and that's all I could ever ask for.

After we finish talking about Katrina, Alexander looks me in the eyes, a serious expression on his face. "Presley, I need you to do something for me." He says.

I narrow my eyes at him. "Depends, if it will get me arrested, then probably not." I say and he rolls his eyes.

"This is serious." He says and I stay quiet. "Look me in the eyes and tell me you want to stay here, be in the movie, and be on the show." I close my eyes once I know what he's getting at. Once I open them, sating straight into his eyes, I say nothing. "Exactly, you don't want this, so why are you settling for it?" I don't speak, instead I stare at the wall behind him. "Can you do one more thing for me?" He asks and I nod, already knowing what I have to do. He pulls me into a hug, before whispering, "Don't settle for this. You know what you have to do, so do it." He says and I have no choice but to hug him tighter.

****

My hands shake as I stand in front of his door. I nervously run a hand through my hair, before wiping sweaty palms on my jeans. I close my eyes and take a deep breath before slowly raising my hand and knocking, ever so slightly.

"Come in." He says from the other side and it makes me want to puke, or punch him in the face.

I grip the doorknob, turning it slowly, my heartbeat quickening as I push the door open. He looks up from his desk, his eyebrows furrowing. "Presley? What are you doing here? You're not supposed to be back until tomorrow. We really need to get a move on this movie, or else it's going to turn out crap." He rambles. I roll my eyes and take a seat in front of his desk.

"Mr. Cook, I need to talk to you about something." I say and he sighs.

"I know, I know, I get this all the time. You're going to ask me to fire your co-stars so you can be the lead of the movie, blah blah blah, that's not how it works! Honey, you are just not cut out to be in a movie all by yourself. I'm sorry, but you are just not that good yet. Your co-stars, well, they kind of take away from you a little bit, which is good, sometimes when we're filming, well, you look terrible out there. now don't take it personally--"

I cut him off, getting annoyed with his rambling. it seems as though he never ends a sentence, only keeps adding on to it. "I quit." I say and he furrows his eyebrows.

"--you are okay but-- what?" He says. "Quit?" He chuckles a bit at the word. "Oh no no no, you can't quit. I don't hire quitters, and I know you're not one, so no, you don't quit."

I glare at him. "I quit." I repeat, before standing up.

"Presley dear, nobody's going to hire a quitter in the entertainment industry. You're not going to go very far in life!" He calls as I turn my back to him, already heading for his door. "You know what, you're fired! You can't quit because you're fired!" He keeps yelling 'fired!' Even after I have left his office and have started walking down the hall.

A L E X A N D E R

I rub my temples as I take a seat in the chair. I'm hoping Presley doesn't show up to this meeting. When I got the text from Mr. Cook, about an emergency meeting regarding mine and Presley's show, I almost turned off my phone and pretended like I didn't get it.

But, being he good guy I am, I am now sitting at a large conference table, while random people, discuss what this 'emergency meeting' is about. Half of these people shouldn't even be here. Stage crew yeah, but our makeup artist? I look around and I can't spot Presley, or her manager Alana. I quick send Alana a text saying "Are you coming to the meeting?"

After a few moment of listening to more people talk, my phone vibrates. "What meeting?" Her text says, but I don't answer, because Mr. Cook has walks in.

"I'm sorry this is so sudden, but I am sorry to announce, I have had to fire Presley Davis, one of our hosts on this show." I stop listening to him. I know he probably didn't fire her, and that she quit, but I can't help the smile that comes to my face. She did it.