Chapter 14

October 1, 2012

“. . .About what, Atlantis?” James Roday said, playing the character of Shawn Spencer in the re-run of Psych I was watching. I am supposed to be studying for my exams before fall break but I’ve decided to watch Psych instead. Tomorrow after my exams, I get out until the eight which means six days free from school. Harry and I have planned to hang out at my parent’s house so I can be able to see them too.

“Presley, according to the schedule, it’s your turn to buy the milk.” Elizabeth, one of my roommates told me. She has OCD and she loves to party. She’s rarely here and yet, her name isn’t on our milk-buying schedule that she made.

“Okay,” I told her, reaching for the remote. She put in her other earring, slipped on her stilettos, gave a quick ‘See you’ before walking out the door. Probably to another party, on a Monday. I don’t know how she’s going to pass this semester.

I slipped on my hoodie and converse before opening the door. “Bye Presley.” Jenna, the quietest and sweetest girl you would ever meet, said to me. She was another of my roommates. There are five of us in all, and I share a room with Jenna. Thank heavens. She’s not messy, she barely wears makeup so I have a lot of space in the bathroom, and she sleeps soundly.  The other two are twins, they’re freakishly nice but they get pissed off easily. They’re the kind of girls who wear curlers to bed, and in the morning they do their make-up in their bra and panties. They’re names are Alyson and McCall. Let’s just say that Elizabeth is an Alyson and McCall wannabe.

“Bye Jenna.” I smiled as I closed the door. I walked down the stairs and out into the Autumn-filled air. The red, yellow and orange leaves swarmed around me as I walked to the nearest grocery store. I plugged headphones into my blue IPod Nano, yes they still exist, and went straight to The Maine. Don’t Give Up On “Us” came on and I smiled, this was my favorite song, out of their many. I hummed along a little bit to the music before I noticed that the same black mustang had driven by three times. I started walking faster as I made eye contact with the man driving the mustang.

Finally I reached the grocery store. I crossed the parking lot where the automatic doors opened for me.  I grabbed a cart and pushed it through the aisles until I found the milk. I scanned through the different types, grabbing the 2% for the twins and the skim for Jenna and I. Elizabeth really didn’t care. I grabbed chocolate milk for her and walked down another aisle for the bread. May as well get it while I’m here.  I searched through the various types of bread while I held the wheat bread in one hand and the white in other.

I was lost in searching when a body bumped into mine. The two types of bread fell out of my hands down onto the dust-ridden ground.

“Oh, I am so sorry.” A man’s voice said as we both knelt to pick the bread up.

“It’s no problem.” I said, taking my bread from his hands. I looked up into his eyes and I noticed it was the same man from the mustang.

“I’m sorry, I haven’t formally introduced myself.” He said. “I’m Mr. Cook, I am a TV producer as well as a music producer.” I gave him a weird look, still not following him. He chuckled a bit. “My fellow producers and I have seen some of your videos; you are a great show host as well as a singer. We want to offer you a job for a new show we are doing. I’ll give you time to think about it, but here’s my card.” He handed me a red card with the label Cook Productions and a phone number. He smiled at me before walking down the aisle and out of sight. I looked at the card again before putting the bread in the cart and walking to check out. His words were still flowing through my head; they wanted me on their show?