THIRTEEN

Mizuki●

I fell asleep five times, and not once did I stay asleep for more than 10 minutes. I twisted and turned in the slippery bedsheets. The material started to get annoying after the fourth or so turn.

No matter how much time I tried to sleep and actually thought I was sleeping when I woke up, it was still the middle of the night.

Cassius said I was probably nervous about tomorrow.

I wasn't.

In no way was I nervous or anxious about meeting new people, who would be nervous about that?

Certainly not me. I huffed and got out of bed. Maybe I needed something to help me sleep or just do something that'll take my mind off things for a bit.

I've been overwhelmed with training, and I didn't get time to do anything.

I walked down the dimly lit hallway, the cold floor felt nice under my feet, I took the time to acknowledge the beauty of the castle, I ran my fingers along the wall as I walked.

There were all kinds of paintings littered on the walls and multiple artefacts on display. I continued to explore places I've never been, entering rooms I've never noticed until I walked out on the balcony.

The cold breeze made me shiver and wrapped my hands around myself. Even though it was cold, the night was beautiful, many stars lit up the sky, and the crescent moon shined brightly.

"What are you doing out here?" I jumped at the voice and spun around. Leaning against the door frame was Zephyr.

No matter the time of day, he still managed to look so good. It's the middle of the night, and his hair wasn't even touched.

Instinctively, I touched my hair. It was a mess.

"I-I couldn't sleep.." I replied, and he hummed.

"Why are you awake?" I asked him, I've never been awake at this hour, so I didn't know if this was his usual thing or not.

I knew nothing about him, and it made me upset. I thought mates were supposed to be your other half.

"I heard you leave your room, so I followed you."

He followed me? That's a first for him.

"Why would you follow me? You don't even like me." I mumbled and looked down at my toes. I started to wiggle them to keep me distracted.

"Who told you that?" His voice was low, very low every word leaving his mouth Slowly.

" It does not take a genius to know that you dislike me, we don't do what Mates do"

"What do mates do, Mizuki?" I raised my head to look at him, and his dull red eyes stared into mine.

"I-I don't know." I admitted shamefully, I've never gotten to experience what having a mate was like, and at this rate, I don't think I ever will.

"I'll tell you what a mate does not do instead." his tone changed, and he pushed himself off the doorframe and took slow strides to me.

"A mate does not kill someone-" he started.

My face twisted with irritation. " No,you are the one who slept with him. I didn't kill anyone." I firmly stated, crossing my hands.

Zephyr smirked and stepped dangerously close to me, so I stepped back.

Reflex.

"You sound jealous."

"I am not."

He stepped even closer to me, so now I was head to chest with him.