21

Tim kills the engine after they pull up behind an RV parked on the curb

Tim kills the engine after they pull up behind an RV parked on the curb. They climb out of the car and start approaching the RV.

"Dispatch pinged his phone," Mirana says. "Shows his location as 10 yards in front of us. 7-Adam-19, show us Code 6 at Riverside and Woodman. No sign of suspect Hawke's vehicle. Check Utah plate 6-Mary-Ocean-1-7-Adam"

"I can't believe we're hunting Jeremy Hawke. Man bleeds LAPD. I was first on scene when the guy was taking .223 rounds using the curb for cover,"

"He's also Nolan's best buddy for a reason," Mirana says. "He was not a fan of Lucy, Jackson or I. There were a few instructors like him at the Academy"

Tim and Mirana approach the open door of the RV as Tim calls out. "Hawke? It's Tim. We're gonna get to the bottom of this. Come out. Let's talk"

A man emerges from the RV but it's definitely not Hawke. "Hey. Sorry. No Hawke here. We met back at the motel, though. Did he do something wrong?"

"Was he ever inside your vehicle?" Tim asks.

"Nope,"

Tim walks to the front of the RV, carefully examining the exterior of the vehicle. He lifts the hood of the RV to find a cellphone with a picture of Hawke's wife on the lock screen.

"The lithium battery in that could have blown up with the engine running," Mirana says.

"He really is running. He knew we'd track his cell, so he planted it on someone going anywhere he's not," Tim says.

"He's thinking like a criminal,"

"Worse," Tim says. "Like a criminal cop. He knows how we do things and what we expect, so he's always a step ahead"

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

Tim drives through the streets as they follow Bishop and Nolan's chase of Hawke over the radio, trying to find a point to stop Hawke.

"7-Adam-19, we are on intercept course with Hawke's truck, three blocks out and closing,"

"Is this safe with Hawke's kid in the car?"

"Hawke thinks we've fallen back into tracking mode," Tim says. "He doesn't know we blocked the streets, turned the lights green to funnel him towards us. He won't see the roadblock coming. To him, it looks like we've fallen back"

"All green lights in L.A?" Mirana snorts.

"He won't notice. 'What appears to be nothing,' remember?"

"You're DEAR method incarnate. You've got a tactic for any situation, don't you?"

"Maybe," Tim says.

"What if you get robbed at gunpoint?"

"Easy, deception. I carry an empty wallet. If I ever got robbed, I'd drop my fake, pull my piece, and good night, nurse,"

"So, where do you keep your cards and money?"