9

Mirana yawns before drinking a large mouthful of coffee as Lucy and Jackson hurry over with wide grins on their faces

Mirana yawns before drinking a large mouthful of coffee as Lucy and Jackson hurry over with wide grins on their faces. Mirana's eyes widen when she spots the presents in their hands and ushers them to the corner of the bullpen.

"Happy birthday!" Lucy beams and Mirana shushes her. "What?"

"No one else knows it's my birthday," Mirana says. "Not even Tim"

"About that-" Jackson looks behind Mirana and she turns.

Her face turns to one of mortification as the officers in the station all begin to sing Happy Birthday to her. She places her hands over her face as Lucy and Jackson belt the song down her ears.

Angela hurries over, a wrapped gift in her hand which she hands to Mirana before giving her a quick hug.

"Happy Birthday!"

"Gracias," Mirana smiles weakly, taking the gift.

"Happy birthday Mirana," Nolan smiles at her, handing her an envelope. "Jessica helped me decide on a gift, she also wants to wish you happy birthday"

"Luce, just hold these for a second?" Mirana asks her friend. "I need the toilet"

Mirana weaves through the police officers, weakly smiling at them before she makes it to the toilet. She enters one of the cubicles and presses her hand to her chest as she gasps for air.

"Officer Cabrera?" Grey's voice sounds from outside the bathroom. "Are you okay?"

"I just need a minute!" Mirana calls back. "I just-"

"Bradford will fill you in on the briefing, take all the time you need," Grey says.

"Gracias," Mirana calls back as she slides to the floor.

"Mira?" Lucy's voice sounds out as she knocks on the cubicle. "Can I come in?"

Mirana unlocks the door and Lucy slips in, joining Mirana on the floor.

"What's going on?" Lucy asks.

"You know how I always celebrate my birthday a day later?" Mirana asks.

"Yeah?" Lucy asks.

"I never told you why," Mirana says. "I don't celebrate my birthday on the day because that's the day my father killed my mother"

"Oh Mira," Lucy says, placing her hand on Mirana's knee. "You've got Tim in a panic, you know? He was going to come in here"

"She's been dead for fourteen years," Mirana murmurs. "But there's not a day that I don't miss her"

"Well, all of your gifts are in my locker," Lucy says. "Grey told people to leave it alone so you're in the clear"

Mirana nods, resting her head on Lucy's shoulder. Lucy moves her head so her cheek is resting against the top of Mirana's head.