38

Mirana scrolls on her phone as she and Tim sit in their position for the stakeout

"You okay?" Tim asks.

"Yeah, I just know maternity leave is going to drive me insane," Mirana says and Tim chuckles.

"You'll have Kojo,"

"But I'll be sat doing nothing all day which is most people's dream but it's not mine,"

"Hey," Nolan knocks on the window. "Just going for a coffee run. Can I get you guys anything?"

"Caramel frappuccino please," Mirana says.

"This is a stakeout. He's not going to Starbucks. Two coffees. Black,"

"Do you want me to throw up all over the shop?" Mirana asks.

"I'll find you some vanilla creamer," Nolan says.

"Thanks, John," Mirana smiles at him.

"No worries," Nolan replies before walking away.

"There's something on your mind," Tim says. "Your eyebrows have been set in a frown for most of the day"

"I was thinking about that whole situation with Valerie Castillo," Mirana says.

"That was ages ago,"

"But you were right," Mirana says. "I've become naive. I've experienced so much bad that now I want to trust everyone to be good"

"Look," Tim grabs her hand. "You have suffered things in your life that would make some people never want to see the light of day again. But you came out the other side fighting. It was wrong of me to call you naive when you just want to see some good in the world"

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

"Well this has gone to shit," Mirana mutters as she listens to the radio feed.

"Bradford, Cabrera, let the SUV get out of the area and then stop that vehicle,"

Harper's voice crackles over the radio and Mirana grabs the radio to respond.

"7-Adam-19, suspect vehicle spotted heading East on Midland pursuing,"

Tim ignites the engine before flipping on the lights and sirens as they follow the vehicle.

"He is in the decoy vehicle,"

"Coming up on the vehicle heading Northeast on Beaudry approaching 4th Street,"

Headlights approaching from the driver's side of the car cause both of them to turn and look. A truck is speeding straight towards the police car with no sign of stopping.

"Tim!" Mirana exclaims.

Tim's arm flies out, reaching across Mirana's chest to hold her against her seat as the truck smashes into the side of the police car.