17

Mirana drums her fingers against the wheel as the radio plays but everything screeches to a halt when a familiar melody begins to play through the vehicle

"My heart is sad and I am lonely. For the only one I love-"

Mirana's heart starts palpitating in her chest as her breaths come out in painful, stabbing jolts. Her hand flies to her chest as she gasps for air, she slams her foot on the brake, turning her hazard lights on as she hits the button for the radio repeatedly trying to stop the song.

"Bury me beneath the willow. Under the weepin' willow tree."

Mirana lets out a guttural cry, slamming her hands over her ears in an attempt to block out the song. Her ribs are burning as she gasps for air, the tattoo that Caleb had left on her burning with the fire of the pain he had caused her.

"Ma'am, are you okay?" A woman leans down next to the car and her eyes widen when she notices the condition Mirana is in. "Okay, honey, I'm going to take the keys out of the ignition and help you get out of the car"

The woman leans over and takes the keys out of the ignition and the song turns off. The woman gently helps Mirana out of the car before guiding her to sit on the curb.

"Do you need an ambulance?" Kathy asks and Mirana shakes her head. "Emergency contact?"

"Tim," Mirana wheezes out, handing the woman her phone.

"Alright honey," Kathy keeps her voice soft as she helps Mirana get her head between her knees. "I'll call him now"

Kathy lifts the phone to her ear before beginning to speak. "Hi, my name's Kathy and I'm with the woman who owns this phone. She's having what looks like a panic attack and she told me you were the one to call. We're on Olympic Boulevard. Yes, I'll let her know you're on your way"

Kathy places the phone down before she gently strokes Mirana's back as the woman gasps for air.

"It's alright honey," Kathy says. "Tim is on his way. He said the best thing for me to do is hold you tight to compress your nervous system, is that okay?"

Mirana nods and Kathy wraps her arms around Mirana, squeezing her tightly as the woman gasps for air. Tears stream down Mirana's face as Kathy grips her tightly.

Mirana struggles to regain control, her breaths coming in ragged gasps as Kathy holds her tightly. The world feels like it's spinning out of control, but Kathy's steady voice and comforting touch provide a lifeline in the midst of the storm.

Minutes feel like hours as Mirana fights against the overwhelming surge of panic coursing through her veins. Finally, the sound of approaching footsteps catches her attention, and she lifts her head to see Tim rushing towards them.

"Mira!" Tim's voice is filled with concern as he drops to his knees beside her. "Mira, can you hear me?"

Kathy's grip on her loosens as Tim takes her into his arms. Mirana's hands haven't moved from her ears as she sobs in Tim's embrace.