26

"Are you sure you're ready?" Tim asks as they get out of his car

"Yes," Mirana says. "Doctor Sawyer signed off on my physical, department shrink signed off on my mental. Grey knows I'm pregnant. At some point, we need to go and buy more concealer"

"You're out again?" Tim asks.

"Yep," Mirana nods. "Covering up that ugly thing on my ribs uses a lot of it. Can I ask you a favour?"

"Of course," Tim nods. "Unless it's you making me try another period or birthing simulator"

"I don't want applause when I go in," Mirana says. "The only reason I lived is that you guys put the pieces together about Rosalind's family farm"

"You saved Lucy," Tim says.

"By killing someone," Mirana hisses. "I just don't want the applause. I haven't done anything heroic or award-winning. I just sobrevivio"

"I can try," Tim says. "But it's tradition and a lot of cops hold onto it"

"All I ask is that you try," Mirana says with a smile.

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

Mirana and Lucy stand outside the briefing room. They share a look before looking at the room full of their fellow officers.

"You ready?" Mirana asks.

"No, you?"

"Nope,"

Mirana and Lucy walk into the room and the assembled officers get to their feet, clapping for the two women. Mirana's eyes go wide in embarrassment and she glares at Tim who mouths an apology to her.

"Let's go sit down," Lucy says to Mirana who nods.

"Welcome back, Officer Chen, Officer Cabrera. How're you both feeling?" Grey greets the women.

"Can't wait to get on the streets, sir. Just get back to normal," Lucy says and Mirana nods.

"What she said," Mirana says.

"So glad to hear that. We're gonna mix things up a bit. Chen, you're gonna be riding with Harper this week," Grey says. "Which means Nolan, you and your ride-along are with Officer Lawrence"

"How's she doing?" Angela asks Tim who's watching Mirana listen to Grey speak.

"She won't talk to me about it," Tim says. "She'll wake up screaming, then she'll realise she's in the house before going for a bath. She'll sit and soak in the tub until the water is cold"

"You're worried she won't be able to do the job?"

"I know she can do the job," Tim says. "I'm worried that she might push herself too hard to prove she's okay. I also have a new house guest, all the time"