32

The patrol cars roll down the street in a line before the officers all take up positions in a line along a fence

"Officer West, you do the 844. Stand by to initiate," Grey instructs Jackson. "Ortiz is in"

Mirana's grip tightens on her gun as Tim glances back at her, giving her a reassuring wink before looking back at the front door of the house.

"That's the signal. Initiate," Grey commands.

Lucy's hand touches Mirana's shoulder and she quickly touches Tim's. Once Tim feels Mirana's hand, he begins to move forward with the rest of the officers following him.

Mirana watches a man holding a duffel bag walk to a car parked on the curb. His eyes flicker between the car, the duffel bag and the officers.

"Police!"Jackson shouts, banging on the door of the house. "Open the door! We have a search warrant"

Lucy steps up,  swinging the ram once and the door bursts open. Tim is first through the door and Mirana follows as they keep their weapons raised.

Mirana turns to see two men in a small room and points her gun at them.

"Hands up," Mirana orders. "Fingers interlaced behind your head. Do it now. Back up slowly!"

One of the men walks backwards slowly and Mirana reaches out and cuffs him before repeating the same motions with the second man.

Two officers appear and whisk the two men away to police cars as Sergeant Grey approaches.

"Rookies, special assignment. Follow me,"

Grey leads the four Rookies into a room where money is stacked high on a table. Mirana's eyes widen as she looks at the money.

"Alright," Grey says. "Here's what happens now. You see, the money counters and the videographer are on their way. In the meantime, you three get to watch the money. Two people with it at all times. No selfies. Enjoy"

Grey leaves the room and none of them move, all staring at the money with wide eyes.

"Where does all this money go?" Lucy asks.

"Cash seized during drug raids goes back to Narcotics, where it's used again for undercover ops," Jackson says.

"Such a waste," Mirana sighs. "There's so much of it"

"That's more money than I've ever seen in one place," Nolan chimes in.

"Can you imagine?" Lucy sighs dreamily. "I'd buy a car - no, a helicopter. And learn to fly it so I could avoid all the traffic"

"I'd buy us a place to live," Mirana grins as she takes her helmet off.

"A huge house," Lucy nods approvingly.

"Yeah, that first big purchase is always tricky, right?" Nolan says. "The barber in Foxburg? He won the lottery. Bought a big, fancy boat. Ran it aground in Freeport, coked to the gills. I don't think a boat is a good idea"