20

Mirana sits in the shop with Tim, reading the information sheets Sergeant Grey had given her on becoming a hostage negotiator

Mirana sits in the shop with Tim, reading the information sheets Sergeant Grey had given her on becoming a hostage negotiator. The Watch Commander had even printed them out on yellow paper to help Mirana read the information better.

"I think I might do this," Mirana says, looking up from the leaflets. "Become a hostage negotiator"

"What happened to UC work?" Tim asks.

"I thought about it, believe me," Mirana says. "And if they ever desperately need me to go, I will but I think this is what I should do. Try to help people in the worst moments of their lives. Both the criminal and the hostage"

"You have a lot of empathy," Tim nods. "I think you'd be really good at it"

"Really?" Mirana asks and Tim nods again.

"You have a way with people," Tim says. "I think it helps that you're pretty"

"Just pretty?" Mirana asks teasingly.

"Did I say pretty? I meant stunningly gorgeous," Tim corrects himself and Mirana nods.

"Flattery will get you everywhere," she teases.

Tim chuckles, his eyes meeting hers with a softness that makes her heart skip a beat. "I mean every word," he says sincerely.

"I know you do," Mirana smiles at him before looking back down at the information sheets.

"So last shift as a Rookie," Tim says and Mirana hums in acknowledgement.

"You gonna miss seeing my stunningly gorgeous face every day?" Mirana asks and Tim grins at her.

"I'm also going to miss how those trousers make your ass look," Tim says and Mirana hits his arm with the papers.

Tim winces playfully, rubbing his arm where Mirana hits him with the papers. "Ouch, okay, maybe I should have saved that comment for later," he jokes his grin widening.

The computer beeps loudly and Mirana leans forward to read the information and she can't stop the gasp that falls from her lips.

"What is it?" Tim asks.

"An amber alert," Mirana says. "Child abduction. Suspect is driving an oro Tacoma truck. Plate number 2-Queen-Robert-Ida-4-4-5. Victim was kidnapped from the City of Angels Hospital"

"How old?" Tim asks.

"Five hours," Mirana whispers before clearing her throat. "The truck belongs to the father, Jared Young. Parents are going through a messy divorce. Security made him leave the hospital earlier. He's got a rap sheet of narcos, possession, possession to sell, under the influence"

"Control, 7-Adam-15, we have eyes on the Amber Alert suspect vehicle. Heading west on Pico, passing Westlake,"

"7-Adam-19, inbound on Olympic, passing Ardmore," Mirana says as Tim begins to drive.