40

"All right

"All right. Everyone, settle down," Grey says as he walks into the room. "Captain"

"Thank you for coming in, most of you on your day off," Andersen says. "Till this is resolved, all overtime limits have been lifted"

"As you may know, Southern Front originated as a white supremacist prison gang about 15 years ago," Grey says. "Since then, they have branched out in a big way"

"Drugs, prostitution, extortion. But what sets them apart is their access to military weapons," Andersen continues.

"Their leader, the so-called "King Midas," is currently serving three consecutive life sentences," Grey adds. "His son, Cole, he controls the day-to-day operations on the street. But make no mistake, his father is pulling the strings"

"Lifting the greenlight would be a huge loss of face for Cole, so he's not gonna do it willingly," Andersen says.

"So, we gotta make this a business decision. We put a big enough hurt on their operation, they'll lift the greenlight," Grey says.

Surprise registers on Captain Andersen's face causing everyone to turn. Following their line of sight, they see Nolan entering the room, in his uniform.

"Sorry I'm late," Nolan says.

Nolan begins to walk to his seat and Tim stands up, giving him a nod as he walks past. The other officers begin to clap as Nolan takes his seat.

Nolan sits between Mirana and Lucy, the two women giving him small smiles which he returns.

"Yesterday, Southern Front tried to kill one of our own. Today, we hit back," Andersen says. "Dismissed"

"Captain?" Mirana approaches the woman as everyone else leaves. "Is Astrid still here?"

"Yes, we can't move her yet due to the ongoing threat,"

"Can I speak to her? See if she'll speak to Cole?"

"Why would that work?"

"I know her," Mirana says. "When you said the name I remember it sounded familiar. So I went through my yearbooks last night and found her. Her birth name is Chloe Jeffries"

"So how did you recognise her new name?"

"The woman who ran Chloe's foster home had the same name and Chloe hated her," Mirana says. "Then a few years ago she disappeared and Chloe must have legally changed her name"

"You think she had Cole get rid of that woman?"

"Probably and then taking her name was a final statement," Mirana nods.

"It's worth a shot,"

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

"Chloe Jeffries," Mirana says, walking into the interrogation room.

"Mirana Cabrera?" The woman asks. "Is that you?"