17

"Officer Cabrera, there's a kid at the front desk asking for you," Mirana's radio crackles

"Alright, on my way," Mirana replies before leaving the break room.

Mirana walks into the entrance to see AJ pacing, biting his nails. When he spots Mirana, he stops pacing and hurries over to her.

"Mirana!"

"AJ? Are you alright?"

"It's my mom,"

"Alright, take just a sticker and sign the visitor sheet and then come with me," Mirana says and AJ does so before following Mirana.

"What's happening with your mom?" Mirana asks, knocking on the door to Sergeant Grey's office before waving over Tim and Jackson.

"Come in Cabrera," Grey says before noticing AJ. "Who's this?"

"This is AJ Clemons, his mom's car was the firebomb this morning," Mirana says as Tim and Jackson walk into the office. "He said something's going on with his mother"

"Yeah, she's missing," AJ says.

"Missing?" Mirana asks and AJ nods.

"My mom went to borrow her cousin's car, so we could get out of town, but she never came back," AJ explains.

"When was this?" Tim asks.

"Right after you all left,"

"Wait, that was hours ago. Have you spoken with your cousin?" Jackson asks.

"Yeah. He said my mom never showed. I-I tried calling, texting. I'm telling you guys, something happened," AJ says.

"It's alright AJ," Mirana says, placing a hand on the boy's shoulder. "We believe you but we need you to tell us the truth now. You're not betraying your mom if you tell us what's going on"

"Does this have anything to do with the people who firebombed her car?" Tim asks and AJ looks at Mirana who nods.

"You're not getting her in trouble AJ," Mirana says.

"A few weeks back, one of my mom's ex-boyfriends started hounding her about being a getaway driver in some heist he was putting together," AJ says.

"She agree to do it?" Tim asks.

"Hell, no," AJ says. "My mom isn't about that life anymore. She swore never to risk going back to prison and not being there for me"

"Okay, so she said no. What'd the ex-boyfriend say?" Tim asks.

"He said he was gonna kill me if she didn't do it," AJ says.

"That's why she pulled you off the team, why she wanted to get you out of the city to protect you," Jackson says and AJ nods.

"What's the ex-boyfriend's name?" Grey asks.

"Ian Shaunesy,"

"So if he grabbed her, it was to force her into pulling the robbery," Grey states.

"Which means it's happening soon," Mirana says. "Do you know where they're planning on hitting, AJ?"

"No," AJ shakes his head. "All I know is that it's happening downtown"

"All right. Bradford, West, you guys get down there. I'll get detectives on this. Put a BOLO out on the mom and the ex-boyfriend," Grey says. "Cabrera, you stay with AJ"

"It's gonna be okay," Tim says to AJ who nods.

"Keep me posted," Mirana says to Tim and Jackson who nod. "AJ, you want a tour while you're here?"

"Do you have dogs?" AJ asks.

"Yeah, the K-9s have some cuties in," Mirana nods as they leave Grey's office. "Wanna go see them?"

"Yeah," AJ nods.

"Want something to eat first?"

"What have you got?" AJ asks.

"It's stereotypical but we have doughnuts in the breakroom," Mirana says. "We do have a vending machine"

"Reeses?"

"Sorry kid, you can't eat them around me," Mirana says. "I'm super allergic"

"I'll have the doughnuts then," AJ nods as they enter the break room.

"Want anything to drink?" Mirana asks. "Coffee, tea, water?"

"Coffee please," AJ says and Mirana nods, standing at the machine. "Can I ask you something?"

"Smitty, give us a minute?" Mirana asks the man who's sitting in the corner of the break room.

"Is Grey in his office?"

"He went to speak to some of the detectives and put out a BOLO," Mirana says and Smitty nods, hurrying from the room.

"What's his deal?" AJ asks as Mirana hands him a cup of coffee while holding her own.

"Smitty hates paperwork," Mirana says, sitting at one of the tables. "Grey's been on his ass about it so he's hiding around the station. What did you wanna ask?"

"Will my mom go back to prison?" AJ asks.

"The D.A. will decide whether to charge her or not," Mirana says. "But your mom is acting under duress so she'll probably be asked to testify against her ex but other than that she should be fine"

"Are you and Officer Bradford dating?" AJ asks and Mirana chokes on her coffee slightly. "Oh sorry"

"No it's fine," Mirana says. "Why do you ask?"

"He's older than you right?"

"He is," Mirana nods. "You got a crush on someone older?"

"Yeah," AJ nods. "He's on the team"

"What's his name?"

"Noah," AJ says and Mirana nods. "But he doesn't see me. Like I'm invisible"

"I'll tell you something," Mirana says. "A lot of the time, people need things spelt out for them. Have you tried speaking to him?"

"No," AJ shakes his head.

"Well, a good thing is you both clearly have common ground," Mirana says. "Maybe you should ask him to run drills together"

"If he says no?" AJ asks.

"You have to give these things time," Mirana says.

"What if he's not-" AJ lowers his voice. "Gay?"

"Then you'll be triste for a bit and move on," Mirana shrugs.

"What does that mean?"

"It means you'll be sad,"

"Bradford for Cabrera," Tim's voice crackles through Mirana's radio.

"Go for Cabrera," Mirana says.

"We've got Kiara Clemons safe, the ex and his crew are in custody,"

"Have you spoken to the D.A.?"

"Yeah, they're not pressing charges,"

"Alright, thanks Tim," Mirana places her radio back on her belt. "You ready to go see your mom?"

"Hell yeah,"